LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

r.sankaranarayanan (Official)     19 August 2022

Power of attorney

I am based at Thane (Maharashtra). I had lost my parents few years back. We ( I and my sister) have obtained I legal heirship certificate from competent authority in respect of the properties (One flat at Dombivli and one at Chennai) which were in our father's name. I would like to give Power of Attorney to my brother in respect of signing all the documents to have the properties transferred to our joint names and also to sell the properties to consolidate and buy a new property in our joint names. I was told that the stamp duty for making the Power of Attorney is dependent on the properties' value. I would request the learned members to let me know what is the rule. I would like to have the PoA registered too. 

Learning

5 Replies

manoj   20 August 2022

special power of attorney is sufficient

V E Manoj Kumar
High Court Advocate
Cell No. 8686159292

r.sankaranarayanan (Official)     20 August 2022

Thank you very much for the reply. What is the stamp duty to be paid for power of attorney, is it Rs.500/-. I was misguided that it is dependent on the value of the properties.

Please let me know.
Regards

Anusha Sharma   21 August 2022

When a General Power of Attorney given to father, mother, brother, sister, wife, husband, son, daughter, grandson, granddaughter or any near relative, without any consideration, then Stamp Duty of Rs. 500/- is only applicable for registration.

In case, General Power of Attorney given to a person other than close relative and/or for consideration, then stamp duty is payable as per the market value of the property or the consideration, whichever is higher.

I hope it answers your query

r.sankaranarayanan (Official)     21 August 2022

Thank you very much. Regards

Shankar

eswar rao   21 August 2022

other than blood relation Rs.10, 000/- for POA

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register