LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

prabhu   20 October 2018

One witness died and another was minor then

Brothers A and B made an oral partition on the death of their father in 1997. Brother B took money from A and relinquished his share in father's property under oral partition. Witnesses were their sister and  mother. Mother died in 2010. After that brother A files a partition suit in a civil court in 2016. Since there is only one witness alive(sister), what are the remedies available to A?

His daughter was present at the time of oral partition in 1997. She was only 12 then. Now that she is an adult, can she be made witness to the oral partition? Will court accept her as witness to oral partition?

Learning

22 Replies

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     21 October 2018

Yes, she can be a competent witness. Even in contract in writing, varying terms of documents by oral agreement can be proved by third party.

prabhu   21 October 2018

I understand about oral agreement partition. 

My question is She was a minor at the time of oral partition, aged 12. Can she be a witness to that oral partition? She is 35 now.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     21 October 2018

Yes, she can unless she is incapiciated with mental ilness.

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     21 October 2018

Yes, she can be a witness but it is open to doubt whether the partition and/or payment can be proved beyond all reasonable doubt when a partition suit is filed clearly refusing the oral agreement.

prabhu   21 October 2018

The defendants are the witness. Plaintiffs mother wrote a will to plaintiffs daughter. She is defendant 1. Defendant 2 is the sister of plaintiff. Defendant 1 was minor at the time of oral partition, in 1997.

manoj   21 October 2018

In your case the court will not believe your pleadings which is presented by you in the court. Since you are saying that you paid money to your brother to relinquish his rights from the said property. But you dont have any documentary proof to show that you paid money to your brother and he relinquished his rights from the said property. To prove the above facts burden is on you to prove the above pleadings, if you did not discharge the burden, it will never shift on other side to prove to that the assertion is not correct. Even you present oral witness who is minor at the time of oral agreement, the court will not believe the above witness. You better take any other steps to succeed the case, other wise you go for compromise with your brother in the above situation. It is only my advise as opined by me.

V E MANOJ KUMAR B.B.A., M.B.A., L.LB.,

ADVOCATE

CELL NO 86 86 15 92 92 

1 Like

Advocate.Amol Choubal (Advocate)     21 October 2018

yes she can become witness

P. Venu (Advocate)     21 October 2018

Who is in possession of the property?

prabhu   21 October 2018

Defendant 1

prabhu   21 October 2018

Defendant 1

prabhu   21 October 2018

Originally posted by : manoj
In your case the court will not believe your pleadings which is presented by you in the court. Since you are saying that you paid money to your brother to relinquish his rights from the said property. But you dont have any documentary proof to show that you paid money to your brother and he relinquished his rights from the said property. To prove the above facts burden is on you to prove the above pleadings, if you did not discharge the burden, it will never shift on other side to prove to that the assertion is not correct. Even you present oral witness who is minor at the time of oral agreement, the court will not believe the above witness. You better take any other steps to succeed the case, other wise you go for compromise with your brother in the above situation. It is only my advise as opined by me.

V E MANOJ KUMAR B.B.A., M.B.A., L.LB.,

ADVOCATE

CELL NO 86 86 15 92 92 

A's father property itself was undivided. He had a share of 16 acres among 50 acres. When the father died in 1997, his heirs were widowed wife, Son A, son B and a daughter C, each receivng 1/4th share i.e 4 acres each. B, the brother who relinquished his share in oral partition died in 2000. B's heirs were motther, wife  E and son F.  In the absence of oral partition, E and F are entitiled to only 2/3  of  4 acres that is 2.67 acres. E and F didnt accept the oral partition and executed a sale deed for 5 acres in favor of G in 2008.

Mother died in 2012 leaving behind a will in which she bequeathed her share in her husband properties and others if any  to A1, daughter of A.

X,Y, and Z are other co-owners of the 50 acres. They own the remaining 34 acres of the 50 acres common property.

Now A has filed for a partion suit that he wants his 1/4 the share and his brother's 1/4th share. Notices were served to A1, C, E, F, G,X,Y,Z. Both E,F,G,X,Y and Z have bcome ex parte.

Plaintiff is in possession of the father's 16 acres share.

Now, is the plaintiff's claim of oral partition valid?  A1 and C are the witness to oral partition. No one is there to oppose the oral partition.

manoj   21 October 2018

First your query is piece meal then now your query is full meal. Take advise from local advocate

prabhu   21 October 2018

Originally posted by : manoj
First your query is piece meal then now your query is full meal. Take advise from local advocate

Oh! Thank you for your valuable and wonderful advice. Appreciate it

manoj   21 October 2018

Yes this is 8th wonder

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register