LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

RKKhanapure (Health Worker)     10 February 2012

Nri buying an agricultural land

NRI but an indian citizen with indian passport has brought an agricultural land by sale deed. He has since realised that NRI's cannot purchase agricultural land and is happy to either cancel the sale deed or sell the land to another indian resident. What are the choices for the NRI to resolve the matter in its entirity.

As the sale deed is problematic due to NRI status, if the land is sold this can come back to haunt him again. How to go about reversing or cancelling the sale deed?

I look forward your kind advise.

Learning

3 Replies

Ashish Chakravarty (Advocate)     11 February 2012

Riakhanolkar, where is this land situated at ? I mean in which State &

Was the name of such NRI duly mutated in revenue resocrds?

Kindly provide these 2 answers as local land laws have to be considered before any response to your query can be posted, it has to be determined first that whether the NRI acquired any title on basis of such sale deed or was it void ab initio.

RKKhanapure (Health Worker)     11 February 2012

Land is in Amravati District in Maharashtra, and not yet gone on Revenue records (as I am aware). 

Ashish Chakravarty (Advocate)     12 February 2012

Hummn, it will be better if you get in touch with some local lawyers of Maharashtra, if it would have been U.P. or Uttarakhand i could have tried to help you out as im somewhat familiar with the local laws of these 2 states. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register