LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Salil Joshi (Engg)     09 November 2010

Need professional counsel to buy agricultural land

I want to purchase Agricultural land in Maharashtra. I can think of 2 ways in which i am eligible to do this, but wanted to seek professional help before proceeding.

Scenario 1:

My wife is from Kerala. Her grandfather (mother's father) was a farmer. He passed away a few years before, and has passed on half of the land to my mother-in-law. So, my mother-in-law now has agricultural land on her name in Kerala. Kerala does not seem to have a 7/12 extract, but they have something similar which describes the property, encumbrances if any etc. This is one a registered stamp paper with official signatures and stamps.
I have following questions:
- Can I use that document to purchase agricultural land in Maharashtra?
- If yes, Will I have to purchase it on my wife's name? OR am I also eligible since my wife is?
- The documents from kerala are in malayalam. Will they be accepted here? If not, what do I need to do?

- If the spouse (in this case, my wife) is a farmer, will the husband also automatically become a farmer?

Scenario 2:

My great-grandfather (my father's mom's father) had some land in Kadus (Nr. rajgurunagar, Maharashtra). I have a few registered agreements (pre-independance era) which say that this land was given on rent to farmers for cultivation. The same document also mentions the survey number, area etc. However, I do not have a 7/12 extract for this land. I also have a plain paper will on which my great-grandfather has left everything on my grandmother's name. My grandmother passed away 10 yrs back, and my dad passed away this year. My dad never had any agricultural land on his name. I do not know what happened to this land - was it sold to someone or is it still unclaimed.
I have following questions:
- Will that document be enough to qualify me as a farmer?
- What will I have to do in this case?

Please note that the phone number i've given is not valid. Write to me at joshi_salil@yahoo.com. If you give me your number, I can drop you a call.

Learning

2 Replies

bhagwat patil (Property due diligence 9422773303)     09 November 2010

pl contact 9422773303

Salil Joshi (Engg)     22 November 2010

Dear Mr Patil,

Thanks a lot for all the help & guidance you have on the phone.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register