Negotiable Instruments: Exhaustive Coverage by Adv Roma Bhagat. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vipul Sachdeva   31 May 2023

Need help with property law


My mother in law lost her husband several years ago. She is succeeded by two daughters. She is living in her maternal ancestral house. Her late husband had 2 brothers and 2 sisters.

There was a joint agreement to keep one of the brothers away from the property.

It was decided "mutually" to have the following in the name of my late father in law:

1. House: Of the house (2 floor + terrace), the top floor will belong to him

2. Shop: The shop will be in his name; due to some issues later, the shop was registered in the name of my late father in law and his younger brother. But there was a mutual understanding, it was in the name of my father in law and now my mother in law.


The situation: All of the above has always been mutual understanding and on the lines of regards. We know there is a will with a lot of this written but we don't have the original or the copy nor we know what's actually written. All the documents are with the younger brother and he is now being unreasonable, intentionally torturing my mother in law, claiming right on everything and not sharing the will when asked.

What is our right in such a situation and what can be done legally?


 1 Replies

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     31 May 2023

She must file for partition suit and claim her property.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register