LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Neeraj   18 September 2020

Name change after marriage

Dear Sir's/Maa'am's,

What is the legal procedure for name change after a court marriage.

My wife has her name earlier name in the marriage certificate as XY( pre marraige initials) is married to AB (my initials).

Does she automatically become XB or is there a procedure for it?

Also, how do I refer to her in legal documents such as a Will.

In the current circumstances, do I refer to her as XY or XB ? ( in the will or any another document).





 5 Replies

Shashi Dhara   18 September 2020

You have to approach court and after that publish in paper as per court orders.

Seema Joshi (advocate)     18 September 2020

You have to the approach to the court and after permission of the court there will be order for publication on gazett notification after that her name will be changed to new name 

Vishwa Bhushan Arya (Service)     18 September 2020


you are right.  you don't need to take any action.  This is not change of name.  XY, wife of AB will now be XB where B is the last name of husband AB.  Whenever and Wherever XB is used, one may add her maiden name XY like shown here in below:

XB @ maiden name XY


XB (maiden name XY)

Such practice is also acceptable not only in India but in other countries of the world, as well

Vishwa Bhushan Arya, Advocate,


kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     18 September 2020

Yes. Agreed with the advice of Mr.Vishwa Bhushan Arya sir.

Seema Joshi (advocate)     18 September 2020

In the case if she doesn't want to use her pre marriage surname  that case her name will not Change in documents like PAN adhar passport bank account etc without the Change in name gazette notification

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register