LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vedanth sharma (Nil)     23 January 2021

Name change

A friend of mine doesn’t like his name. He is 22 at this point and has all his documents in the same name, how can he change his name?


 2 Replies

Kevin Moses Paul   23 January 2021

In order to change your name (either surname or first name) sure to check the requirements in your state by visiting your state government's website.

In most of the states, it's a quite simple process to change your name via use of the online court system. Nowadays, many state government websites have forms which can be used by an individual after printing them.

These forms consist of very simple questions related the applicants personal information which includes Your Old Name, New Name, Social Security number, the Reason For your Name Change, and a promise that you are not changing your name in order to escape any debt or criminal liability or any compensation that you need to make.

Following are few steps that one needs to make in order to change his/her name -
1) File a petition for name change, in order to show cause for legally changing the name, and a decree to legally change your name,

2) Take these forms to the court clerk and file them along with your state's required filing fees,

3) In most cases, a judge or magistrate will review your forms and grant the name change,

4) Some states require a more formal advertisement before you use your new name, which is done simply by posting a notice in the local newspaper (which can be later on used by your friend to attain a revised copy of his educational or any other document which includes his NEW NAME) after which an individual is Free To Use His New Name.

175B083 Mahesh P S   24 January 2021


Yes, he can still change his name.

Kindly go through the article below for a detailed insight on the same.


Thank you

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register