LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

M Ramachandran   22 December 2023

My land patta fraudulently changed

I am still owner of land I have bought in 1978.

Original patta is with me along with original sale deed.

Recently I saw in tnreginet website my patta number was issued to someone.

This someone is not known to me and I am aghast to see how such patta change without my permission can happen.

What to do now?

Learning

6 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     22 December 2023

You can give a letter to the concerned Tahsildar mentioning about this error and request for deleting the name of an unknown person and put your name  back in the patta. You can attach the copies of the previous patta and sale deed to your application. 

M Ramachandran   22 December 2023

Thanks for prompt response. Thanks to Mr Kalaiselvan , Advocate.

Feel justified in joining your Lawersclubindia.com

Sanskriti Tiwari   23 December 2023

If you've retained the original patta and sale deed since purchasing the land in 1978, they serve as crucial evidence of your ownership. The alteration of your patta number without your consent raises concerns about potential unauthorized changes in land records.

Under the Registration Act, 1908, and the Transfer of Property Act, 1882, any changes to land records without the owner's consent are unlawful. Section 17 of the Registration Act mandates the registration of documents such as sale deeds, ensuring their legal validity. Additionally, Section 22 of the Registration Act highlights the consequences of unauthorized alterations in registered documents.

You should swiftly take legal action to rectify this issue. Initiating proceedings under the Specific Relief Act, 1963, and filing a case to establish your ownership based on the original documents can help resolve this discrepancy.

1 Like

M Ramachandran   23 December 2023

Very exhaustive and useful reply. Thanks Mr Sanskriti Tiwari Sir. I have with me all original documents ( sale deed and patta). 

And I shall try legal proceedings once I am discharged from hospital 

Sanskriti Tiwari   23 December 2023

Thank you so much.....praying for your good health😊....get well soon.

M Ramachandran   24 December 2023

Few years ago, when I came to know that my patta was fraudulently changed to someone, I had submitted EC to the Tahsildar. After several reminders, I had got a reply that my area was inspected and they could not find the boundary stones. I was speechless as I was in my home only as my health condition did not allow me go out even for a short time. And I was stunned by the reply from Tahsildar office about not finding the boundary stones.

My house is the only old house in the area and it is surrounded by three flats and a street.

In such a case how one can find boundary stones after a few decades ( that too without visiting the area).

I would have offered bribe to the staff of Tahsildar office, but I was told that offering bribe also a punishable crime.

In this case what to do?

Can I tell the staff that I am willing to offer bribe? ( Because offering bribe is a punishable crime but is  saying that I am willing to offer bribe a crime?).

I don't know how to proceed because if I go to Tahsildar office at my precariously old age, I will not get my patta restored to my name.

Time is running out and I am in hospital and I am not sure how long I will be alive.

How to proceed?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register