LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Neil Paul   28 January 2021

Money demand by in-laws

I have a woman residing near my house. She got married to a decent working man back in year 2018. Till now everything was going on good, but since last year her in-laws have been forcing her to get some cash from her parents, for this they provide a reason that the Rajesh lost his job during lockdown and therefore now she needs to arrange money for the household and therefore she did so for a few time. Recently they're demanding for more cash even though her husband Rajesh has somehow managed to get a average job in a shopping mart near her matrimonial house.
She's now feeling very distressed due to her situations as the pressure for demanding the money is still going on.

All this behaviour from her in-laws is causing a lot of trouble and problems for not only her but for her parents too. Since I know them from a long time now, I want to enquire about any legal aid that she may use for her befit?? Can a simple complaint will be enough or should some other step is required???

Learning

2 Replies

Vishakha Chaurasia   28 January 2021

Hi
Your grievance comes under the purview of 498A , Dowry prohibition act and Domestic Violence act.
In matrimonial laws, strict proof is not necessary.
All it needs is minimal evidences to substantiate your claim.
You should approach the elders with your complaint and ask them to resolve the issues.
If elders are not supportive, please contact the women's police cell nearest to your martial /parental home and file a case of 498A and under Dowry prohibition case. Once your complaint is registered, probably your inlaws will change their attitude/behaviour towards you.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     29 January 2021

Ultimate peace is marital life should be the focus.   Temporary financial problems may bring such difference of opinions between relatives.  Have patience, wait for some time and meet the husband and try to convince him if you are really a family well wishes..  Litigation must be the ultimate when there is no source for any compromise and once it is initiated, it creates more complications due to interference and involvement of several outsiders.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register