LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

akash siwal   21 April 2022

marrying a foreigner in India

my name is akash siwal , resident of hapur near new delhi currently working in Hyderabad ,i want to marry a girl she is from Romania but she lives in London , how can I marry her and where can I marry her in delhi , do i have to stay in delhi for 30 days or i can take leave after 30 days

Learning

3 Replies

Shashi Dhara   21 April 2022

Contact Romania ambassador or consul in Delhi if not London high commissioner , ambassador or consul   in Delhi  or contact  any  expert advocate on foreign marriages.

akash siwal   21 April 2022

can you please recommend any lawyer in delhi who is expert in foreign marriages

Divya Vijayan   21 April 2022

“Any two persons” can marry under section 4 of Special Marriage Act, 1954. Therefore, even a foreigner and an Indian can get their marriage registered under this Act. It is not mandatory for Court Marriage that both parties be of Indian nationality. Court Marriage can be done by an Indian national with a foreign national. Persons of two different gender either belonging to the same or different religion can marry each other through Court Marriage. 

There exists a 30-day notice requirement to be given in India if one partner is permanently and the other partner is temporarily residing in India. Marriages between Indian and a foreign national also shall be registered under the Act. If one partner is residing in the foreign country, the ‘Marriage Notice’ form has to be filled by the partner in India and also the partner in the foreign country, which has to be resubmitted by the partner in India to the Registration office.

Before solemnizing the marriage, one should ensure that the following documents are ready:

• Birth certificates (for age proof)
  • A valid visa of more than thirty days for the foreign national
  • A single-status affidavit signed by both parties. In case one of the parties has married previously, the Divorce Decree (for divorcees) or Certificate of Death (for widowed) is necessary.
  • Address proof and passport size photographs
  • Adequate documentary evidence of 30-day residence in India
  • A ‘no-objection’ letter

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register