Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

anonymous person (Analyst)     16 April 2012

Marriage registration in two different states

Hello.

I would like to know whether I can do the civil registration of marriage in two different states in India?

For example, register the marriage in Meghalaya and then Goa. I am from Goa but my fiance is from Meghalaya.

Due to family issues, we prefer to do the civil registration of marriage in Meghalaya and Goa.
Is this possible?

Thank you.

Learning

9 Replies

sheela subbarao (Advocate)     16 April 2012

You cannot register marriage in two cities and there is no reason for the same. If you have consensus from both the families for yourmarriage, there should not be a problem. Registration can be done in one place and actual ceremony can be held in another place.

ppbasheer (ppbasheer@gmail.com)     16 April 2012

If you want to marry under the provisions of Special Marriages Act,  you can do it only once, at one place. A second marriage at different place is a nullity; only  first marriage preails.

If you want to marry according to cusotmory law and get it registered under any other law other that Sp.M Act, there is no necessity of registering it twice; but registration may be possible depending up in the procedure laid down the local law. But here also, you married only once, that is marriage under the cusotmary law.

(Guest)

Marriage can be registered only one place.

If you desire to get two certificate by any means than get marriage one place and registered another place.

Whats your family issue ?- disclose - If desire to perfect advice.

anonymous person (Analyst)     17 April 2012

Thank you for your feedback.

The family issue is that my fiance and I are from different states. My family wants us to register in my state while my fiance's family wants the registration in her state.

Therefore, if we register in one state, will we be stopped from registering again in another state? If it is possible then I will consider it as a solution.

The two states in question are Goa and Meghalaya. It is a christian wedding so I suppose that special marriage act will apply.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

josinpaul (partner)     17 April 2012

well registration of marriage in two places is not an offence if you are doing it with the same person.So you can register it in two places but keep in mind that the first one alone will be valid in the eye of Law.

THE INDIAN CHRISTIAN MARRIAGE ACT, 1872 is same and valid in all of India except in manipur, J&K.

see sec 4 of the Act " 4 Marriages to be solemnized according to Act.
4. Marriages to be solemnized according to Act.-Every marriage
between persons, one or both of whom is 6*[or are] a Christian or
Christians, shall be solemnized in accordance with the provisions of
the next following section; and any such marriage solemnized otherwise
than in accordance with such provisions shall be void."

anonymous person (Analyst)     18 April 2012

Thanks again for the feedback.

Can anyone confirm whether registration of marriage in two different states (between the same 2 partners) is an offence. I know it is not recommended, but will I be prevented from registering a second time in a different state, if I had already registered marriage before with the same person in another state?

Any legal advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Sreedevi Radhakrishnan (founder)     30 April 2012

Glen, Being a goan it is adviseable that you get your marriage registered in Goa, under our uniform civil code and use this certificate to make an entry of  your marriage in meghalya, this is a permitted method generally. Instead of doing 2 seperate registrations.

Our uniform civil code is diffrent and more benefial for sucession of property if there is marriage done here. please contact your

Human Being   13 July 2015

Hi,

My husband has got second marriage.I got to know it recently .Here i have some clarifications to get.Please help.

1.Our marriage is not been registered.I dobut that he has registered second marriage .What will be the consequences in that case ,if i go fight for legal .Will our marriage be still held as legal?

2.My husband has got to release now that he has made a mistake now( that lady was a divorce and has 12 year old child).She has somehow trapped my husband emotionallly and got married inspite of knewing that he is married.) , does he need to legally divorce her.

3.Now she is black mailling my husband that she will suicide and all. what should be done for this?

4.Is it possible for a person to get marriage registration done in different states?

Human Being   13 July 2015

Try to add value to the discussion, with your each post.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register