LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Dhiraj Solanki   09 October 2023

Marriage registration

A couple got married 8 years ago in Denmark and the marriage is registered in Denmark and they also have original marriage certificate issued by Denmark Registry. The certificate is in international format and being recognised in the European Union and in US. The husband is OCI and has British Passport whereas the wife has Indian Passport.

Is it possible to also register the marriage in Mumbai or anywhere in India on the basis of marriage solemnised in Denmark and on producing marriage certificate of Denmark. Can the marriage be registered in India Civil Registry by producing Denmark issued marriage certificate.

Does the couple be required to visit India or anyone of them can come and complete the task.

Some of the government organisations are insisting to produce marriage certificate of India such as Ration Card office, schools etc. Unfortunately they do not understand and recognise international marriage certificate even if it bears Haque Apostille.


 3 Replies

SAM (LEGAL)     09 October 2023

Yes both of you have to come in india and get your marriage registered before marriage registrar. Contact any local lawyer if you are in Mumbai or any other city. They will help you out

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     09 October 2023

On the basis of the Denmark Registry certificate, your marriage cannot be registered here.  You have to follow the procedure either under Spl.Marriage(Court Marriage) Act.

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     10 October 2023

They are already married then why would they need to marry again. Their marraige ertificate is valid and no need  any more certifications

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register