LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sakshi matta   18 April 2022

Marriage registration

I and my boyfriend got secretly married few years back.And got the marriage registered.

Now our parents have approved of our relationship and got us married.they don't know about our previous marriage.Now i need to get my documents updated.Do i need to get marriage registered again or previous marriage certificate would be enough?

Will my previous marriage date get disclosed in that?

Learning

6 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     19 April 2022

There is no such necessity.  Once a marriage was registered, subsequent formalities are only formal religious rituals.  The same practice is being followed by those people who go abroad and obtain passports through regd marriages and formally undergo those ceremonies for visa purposes.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     19 April 2022

What is the status of previous marriage, i.e., it has been dissolved/ divorced or still subsisting ?

Anyhow it has to be disclosed for registration of this marriage if it is valid in accordance with personal laws (Hindu / Muslim / Christian etc.) governing the marriage.

It would be better to get the marriage registered.

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     19 April 2022

Yes, now it is not required to get marriage registered again although you may undergo social formilities again.

Divya Vijayan   19 April 2022

If you want to please your parents,  you can simply get married again by performing traditional ritual if both side wish to celebrate that occasion. There is no need to get that traditional marriage registered again as it will be wrong under law. A marriage can only be registered once. But when you need to mention the date about when you got married in any official document, mention the date which is written in the Official Marriage certificate.

P. Venu (Advocate)     19 April 2022

Yes, no further registration is required.

Shashi Dhara   19 April 2022

One registered marriage and another customary marriage ,no problem to register again .

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register