LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

nathan (self employed)     12 September 2014

Marriage of men with a transgender -sec 377

I wanted to know the validity of the section 377 and decision of supreme court on the following issue.

Query 1: Whether a Man can marry Hijda (i.e. men having a women soul and dresses like a women). Whether it is allowed as per section 377and decision of Supreme Court.

Query 2: Whether a hijda can marry another hijda.

Query 3: If both the option is violation of section 377, then who requires to give complaint to take action under section 377. Whether police can file a suo-muto case or any body requires to give complaint. 

Pls reply.

Learning

5 Replies

Saurabh..V (Law Consultant)     12 September 2014

Hi

As far as my knowledge is concerned, same gender marriages are not yet recognized by any implemented law in India. Hence there is no legality if a man marries someone from tha trans-gender fraternity. It also applies to a trans-gender marrying a trans-gender.

Also S.377 IPC talks about unnatural offence however does not cover who can complain. So it is understood that either party in such relation can complain. No third party can complain of such offence because the consenting partner would never give statement in court or before police. So no action can be taken unless the party to such relationship calls for action.

If two consenting adults want to live together, there is no law that can stop them and restrict their desires within 4 closed walls. However problem would start when one party goes to police and files a formal complaint.

//peace

/Saurabh..V

www.lawforumindia.com

LoneFighter (IT)     13 September 2014

@Nathan: I do not know whats the system in India and how bad it is. I have not read any convictions based on 377 in last 5 or 6 years of doctypes i have read for hetero couples. People were convicted only if they had done it against kids or with someone by force <  Sick people doing with kids >.

If you truly belong to LGBT, i would suggest you to seek Asylum in other countries. Try Canada. Canada is safehaven for asylum seekers. Chance of getting it are more if you have genuine story affiliated and also inhumane treatement because your marriage can never be solemonized in india. 

Hope this helps.

LoneFighter (IT)     13 September 2014

one can take a tourist visa and go there and apply for Asylum. But if u r going to canada, remember that u should not pass thru US, try Canada, its sympathetic in giving Asylum. 

Europe, 

https://www.ilga-europe.org/home/issues/asylum_in_europe

try the above link..

Dont worry about accom and stuff.. u will be provided accom in canada like countries and also food till u get some base.. for your self... dont worry...it will be goood. india z not good for LGBT and also not for men

Ashok, Advocate (Lawyer at Delhi)     14 September 2014

The offence under Section 377 IPC has been held to be constitutionally valid by a recent decision of the Supreme Court (11 December 2013), reported vide Suresh Kumar Koushal v. Naz Foundation, (2014) 1 SCC 1. Therefore, any person violating the provisions of Section 377 IPC may be charged for that offence.

Section 377 IPC is reproduced below for a ready reference:

377. Unnatural offences.—Whoever voluntarily has carnal intercourse against the order of nature with any man, woman or animal, shall be punished with imprisonment for life, or with imprisonment of either descripttion for a term which may extend to ten years, and shall also be liable to fine.

Explanation.—Penetration is sufficient to constitute the carnal intercourse necessary to the offence described in this section.”

The definition clearly shows that an act in violation of this section, even if that be by consent of the parties, will attract the offence.

In fact, in the above decision vide Suresh Kumar Koushal v. Naz Foundation, (2014) 1 SCC 1, the Supreme Court has also clearly held that (para 60, page 65, of SCC):

“…we hold that Section 377 IPC would apply irrespective of age and consent. It is relevant to mention here that Section 377 IPC does not criminalise a particular people or identity or orientation. It merely identifies certain acts which if committed would constitute an offence. Such a prohibition regulates s*xual conduct regardless of gender identity and orientation.”

Thus, the SC has also made it clear that consent is irrelevant to make out an offence under Section 377 IPC.

It is, of course, a different issue that the police may not be taking action in many such cases due to their ignorance of law or due to lack of interest or due to lack of information / complaints.

However, to reply to another query of yours, it may be added that, the fact remains that the police has the power to take a suo motu action in these matters and moreover, even a third-party can also lodge a complaint for such offence.

Another query raised by you is with regard to marriage of such persons (of the same s*x). As rightly pointed out by someone else, same-s*x marriages are not recognized in India. Of course, the law does not restrict living together of two willing adult persons, provided it does not constitute an offence under any provisions of law; and, of course, even in such cases, merely the fact that two persons are living together would not mean that they are legally recognized as “married” persons. And, it goes without saying that any violation of the provisions of Section 377 IPC by such persons “living together” may attract offence under that section, and such action can be taken by police suo motu or on the complaint of a third person.

What is stated above is the latest legal position in India.

LoneFighter (IT)     14 September 2014

Thats a great explanation Ashok Sir.

So according to the above, a consensual unnatural s*x act is against law. 

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/Section-377-Men-worry-about-being-framed-by-women/articleshow/27499941.cms

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/relationships/man-woman/Oral-or-anal-s*x-too-makes-you-a-criminal/articleshow/27725593.cms

I guess 60% of indian couples can be booked under this law. :) 

@Nathan.. please try to look into the concept i mentioned above. Ur orientation is a boon to u, it can take you to a free and safe country. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register