Share on Email

Share More

Bykan Sujatha   24 August 2021

living relationship

what happens if a state govt employee stays in living relationship

Learning

4 Replies

Kevin Moses Paul   25 August 2021

As per the query asked by you, let me inform you that in the matter of S. Khushboo V/s Kanniammal in 2010 the apex court of the country i.e. the Supreme Court of India provided live-in-relationships a legal recognition as it categorised them as "Domestic Relations" that are protected under the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005 (i.e. DV Act).

Moreover, Court held that a live-in relationship comes within the ambit of the right to life enshrined under Article 21 of the Constitution of India. The Court further also stated that live-in relationships are permissible and that the act of two adults living together, in any case, cannot be considered illegal or unlawful.

Thus, it's no issue if two adults decide to take their relationship in the scope of live-in, however it's important that no one amongst the couple should be lawfully married to anyone during the period of engaging in live-in-relationships.

Hence, you can go for live-in-relationships without any issue concerning to your job.
You can read and attain more input about the concept of live-in-relationships by clicking on the link given below -
https://www.indiafilings.com/learn/live-in-relationships-in-india/

Hope It Helps!

Regards
Kevin M. Paul

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     25 August 2021

Live in relationship is not illegal and do not affect career / service of government employee but Indian society has yet to recognise. 

1 Like

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     25 August 2021

If he is already married, there is a possibility of filing a spouse filing a complaint with alleged atrocities.  There are some activities though are not illegal but not accepted in society and may lead to loss of mental peace and other complications in life.

P. Venu (Advocate)     26 August 2021

In my understanding, a distinction need to be drawn between two unmarried persons in live-in relationship vis-a-vis a married person in live-in relationship with another person abandoning his or family in the lurch. May be the act may not constitute bigamy, but certainly amounts to an "act unbecoming of a public servant", a misconduct. As such, he/she is liable for disciplinary proceedings.

The decision of the Apex Court in the Kushboo case was in a different context.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register