Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

P S Jaya sankar   22 December 2021

litigating-in person during service

sirs,
Is there any restriction on Central Government employee to raise his service grievance before court of law as petitioner-in-person during the service period.

weather any leave i.e special casual leave is permissible for the purpose.

Is there possibility of employer raising objection to it basing any rule/law.

Learning

8 Replies

Anaita Vas   22 December 2021

"The Government" means the Central Government

"Government servant" means any person appointed by Government to any civil service or post in connection with the affairs of the Union and includes a civilian in a Defence Service.

A Government servant whose services are placed at the disposal of a company, corporation, organisation or a local authority by the Government shall, for the purpose of these rules, be deemed to be a Government servant serving under the Government notwithstanding that his salary is drawn from sources other than the Consolidated Fund of India.

Government servants seeking redress in Courts of Law of their grievances arising out of their employment or Conditions of Service

In supersession of orders contained in this Ministry’s Office Memorandum No. 25/52/52-Ests. Dated the 11th October, 1952 (Not reproduced) on the above subject, the following instructions are issued:-

(a) Government servants seeking redress of their grievances arising out of their employment or conditions of service should, in their own interest and also consistently with official propriety and discipline, first exhaust the normal official channels of redress before they take the issue to a court of law.

(b) Where, however, permission to sue Government in a court of law for the redress of such grievances is asked for by any Government servant either before exhausting the normal official channels of redress or after exhausting them, he may be informed that such permission is not necessary.

(i) where any penalty is imposed on a Government servant on the ground of conduct which has led to his conviction on a criminal charge, or

(ii) where the disciplinary authority is satisfied for reasons to be recorded by it in writing that it is not reasonably practicable to hold an inquiry in the manner provided in these rules, or

(iii) where the President is satisfied that in the interest of the security of the State, it is not expedient to hold any inquiry in the manner provided in these rules,

the disciplinary authority may consider the circumstances of the case and make such orders thereon as it deems fit:

Provided that the Government servant may be given an opportunity of making representation on the penalty proposed to be imposed before any order is made in a case under clause (i):

Provided further that the Commission shall be consulted, where such consultation is necessary *[and the Government servant has been given an opportunity of representing against the advice of the Commission,] before any orders are made in any case under this rule.

Regards,

Anaita Vas

P S Jaya sankar   22 December 2021

Sir,

Thank a lot. I understood and matter. So as far as, my querry on contesting the case in -person before court of law is concerned, I believe that the rule is silent on the subject. So either I can use service of Advocate or can take up in-person. 

Regards

Jaya sankar

P. Venu (Advocate)     22 December 2021

A Government servant can appear in person before Courts as well Tribunals.

Aryan Raj   22 December 2021

In response to your query, 

In my opinion you have every right to raise issues related to service grievances as long as it doesn't violate the rules of Central Civil Services (Conduct) Rules, 1964. According to rule no 9 of this provision-

In whatever form of communication, no government employee shall make any statement of truth or opinion.

(i) which has the effect of criticising any current or recent policy or action of the Central Government or a State Government.

(ii) which has the potential to jeopardise the relationship between the federal government and state governments, or

(iii) which has the potential to jeopardise relations between the Central Government and any foreign government.

I would suggest you to try and resolve this issue by approaching the concerned authorities at you Government office before going for legal action.

Regards,

Aryan Raj 

P. Venu (Advocate)     22 December 2021

Mr. Aryan Raj,

Your suggestion is miserably misinformed!

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     23 December 2021

There is no bar to appear as "party in-person" and proceed.

No leave is applicable to appear before the court / Tribunal.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     23 December 2021

You can very wellappear in person by taking leave.

No conduct rule is violated.

NO procedure of Court is violated.

P S Jaya sankar   29 December 2021

This is Jayasankar. Thanks to Sirs and Madam S/Sh.Aryan Ra

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register