LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

VINOD VERMA (C E O)     02 October 2012

Levy of charges by banks for not mantaing minimum balance

Dear Cheema ji, couple of months back I ahad requested you Sir , to help me sort matter with bank wherein they had levied exhorbident charges for NON MANTAINANCE OF MINIMUM BALANCE IN SAVING ACCOUNT, you cited two Judgement one of the NCDRC and the other of some High court. I could not find the same, I would appreciate Sir, if you could give me some more detailed information on the matter. I am sure your information will help millions of other Indian account holders as well who have been taken for a ride by the Private Banks in India,where the RBI says they have given free hand about the service charges. Rgds

Learning

3 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     02 October 2012

Kindly post the name of thread and link to your previous thread.

Ranee....... (NA)     02 October 2012

I too want to know

Kumar Doab (FIN)     02 October 2012

---The following information may be useful to you, which is a guideline by RBI:

614/2008-2009      What are the new guidelines on maintaining minimum balance in savings accounts?

"Reserve Bank of India has not stipulated any minimum balance to be maintained in savings accounts. Reserve   Bank of India has also not stipulated levy of  any service charge, if the minimum balance is not maintained in such accounts, and what is the to minimum balance should also be intimated to the account holders the legal basis of doing this by the by banks at least one month in advance."

You may look into the attachment Min balance etc RBI 773531

It shall be good if you raise RTI application to RBI and obtain copies of all guidelines pertaining to minimum balance in SB a/c.

---The SCDRC decisions which we could find are not in favor.

The favorable decisions may kindly be attached for the benefit of one and all.

e.g.

The issue for consideration is whether there is deficiency in service by the bank in levying increased ledger folio charges and increase in minimum balance limit and deducting the same from the respondent without giving him notice. It was held that the increase in minimum balance amount in current account and increase in ledger folio charges brought in operation by bank pursuant to the Reserve Bank of India directions and general policy could not be held deficiency in service on the service hired by complainant.  Col. D.S.Sachar Vs. Zonal Manager, Punjab & Sind Bank, Cahndigarh & anr- 2003 (3) CPR 203 SCDRC (Chandigarh)

---The decision in case of Archana.M .Kamath is attached.

Attached File : 274150587 archana m. kamath vs canara bank and anr. on 6 february, 2003(1).pdf, 274150587 min balance etc rbi 773531.pdf downloaded: 106 times

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register