LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

navnit virdi   28 July 2020

lended money

I want to ask that my father has taken money from one person (friend) 2.5 lacs in 2011
through cheque without any agreement at that time he has given property papers to him and but the same property has been sold by me after my father has died on Jan 2013. That person is asking money from me.....do I have to pay him or not.

Learning

4 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     29 July 2020

Originally posted by : navnit virdi
I want to ask that my father has taken money from one person (friend) 2.5 lacs in 2011 through cheque without any agreement at that time he has given property papers to him and but the same property has been sold by me after my father has died on Jan 2013. That person is asking money from me.....do I have to pay him or not.

Morally and socially you must honour commitment of your father and get the property paper back from financier..

You have stated to have sold the property, whether the vendee (purchaser) did not insist upon previous chain of title, which were mortgaged hence not available with you and you were unable to handover title documents ? ? ?

Legally the loan is barred by limitation, if specific mortgage deed is not registered in favour of money lendor.

navnit virdi   29 July 2020

I want to give money to them....they are asking for interest....no official documents we're signed by my father...only cheque was given...property papers are already with me...taken back from him.....beacuse property was not on fathers but on grandfathers name....as friend he gave my father money...

P. Venu (Advocate)     29 July 2020

Yes, you have the moral obligation to settle debt. It is reasonable that normal interest be paid.

navnit virdi   29 July 2020

Thank you....you his are awesome. I talk to them they are ready to settle it without interest.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register