LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raj   16 September 2022

Joint property - inheritance

My father and mother bought a house as joint ownership in 1979. The sale deed is exactly same for both my father and mother and schedule A mentions 1 ground 1000sq. ft and is exactly the same in both sale deeds and schedule B mentions 50% undivided share exactly the same in both sale deeds executed under my father and mother's name. 

my father passed away without a will and my mother who later survived him willed the house to me. Now my question is, does the property belong to me or does the property also belong to the other legal heirs of my father including me? 

Learning

2 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     16 September 2022

The property bequeathed by your mother in your name is your absolute property if the will is not challenged by other LRs.

Raj   16 September 2022

Dear Dr Vashista Ji,

thank you for taking the time to reply promptly!

sir, I have a few more questions: 

The property is located in Madras, Tamil Nadu. Immediately after my mother's demise, the will has been probated at the Madras High Court. Additionally, other properties were also bequeathed to other legal heirs as per my mother's will and were also sold by them without any renouniciation/objection from any of the legal heirs including myself.  

At present, I am planning to enter a joint development agreement for the above property. In this case, do I need to produce any documents such as renounciation certificate or no objection or any documents from other legal heirs there by relinquishing their rights (if any) for me to proceed with the JD agreement of the above property, which as I have described above was willed in my name & probated after my mother's demise.

thank you, sir!  

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register