LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ramesh   25 March 2022

Joint ownership of flat

Me and my wife own a flat jointly and both names are reflected on the share certificate. We have filed a nomination in favour of our only child.

In case of death of either me or my wife will the flat be transferred to the survivor ?

Learning

2 Replies

Shashi Dhara   25 March 2022

Both have half share each if any one dies then their share will be divided betn daughter and survive joint owner.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     25 March 2022

Nomination will take effect only if and when both the joint owners die. Nomination will not confer ownership on the nominee. Nomination is only for the purpose of dealing with the housing society.  If you want the absolute ownership of the flat pass to your child after the death of both of you, you write separate wills. In the will you also specify to whom the share of the property should pass in the event of one pre-deceasing the other. Writing a will is very simple. You can write it on plain paper and no registration is necessary. But the will should attested by two independent witnesses. Choose persons younger than you and in good health as witnesses.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register