LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

SohanDev Karmakar   21 December 2022

Is karmakar scheduled caste ?

A brief introduction about me : I am a student aspirirng for ALL INDIA JOINT ENTRANCE (JEE MAINS). I belong from a village from the state of wb. I live in a community where more than 300 KARMAKAR people live. We all had SC certificates because we belong from the LOHAR caste. Now in 2021 the SDO of our division collected all the caste certificates from us forcefully. He ordered us to show appropriate proofs showing that we belong from the LOHAR community. Now when we showed documents from the 1990s , he declined and said that the proofs must be from the 1950s or more older. And as expected we failed to show such proofs. He than told us that he woold cancel our certificates. But after almost 1 year all the certificates are still not cancelled (they are showing active status in online portal) . What should I do to get back the certificates ? 

Learning

10 Replies

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     21 December 2022

I opine, the Karmakars are gold smiths as per the West Bengal government and the Karmakars have come under OBC in WB.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     22 December 2022

Local (West Bengal) laws apply to your case.

Contact, consult and engage a local prudent lawyer.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     22 December 2022

First of all you have to consult the list of SC.  This list is prepared by centrla Govt seperately for each state.  See whether your community falls unde rthe same.

Then You have to approach DM.  It is not the SDO rather DM who can cancell certificate based on the recommendations of cat verification committee.

Further please also check if such action has been taken against anyother community.

P. Venu (Advocate)     22 December 2022

The SDO has no such powers. You may take up the issue with the District Collector.

Suresh S   22 December 2022

Due process of law was not followed in the instant case. It can be brought to our Honourable Prime Minister.

The issue will be resolved immediately.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     24 December 2022

Are you sure that briberty angle is not there.

SohanDev Karmakar   24 December 2022

Originally posted by : Sudhir Kumar, Advocate

Are you sure that briberty angle is not there.

there's surely something mattered to the bribe because soon after the certificates were snatched a case was filed by few people of our community who are into government jobs, and after that a stay order was declared by the court and after that no action was taken.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     25 December 2022

As you have stated the case is sub-judiced and a stay order is granted by competent court, wherein you might have been represented to contest / proceed through a prudent lawyer, what is his / her opinion / advise?

However, if you are dissatisfied with the lawyer engaged by your party s/he is required to be replaced by some other local reliable prudent lawyer.

Facts posted are incomplete and require much more clarity which can be had only after perusal of case file..

P. Venu (Advocate)     25 December 2022

"there's surely something mattered to the bribe because soon after the certificates were snatched a case was filed by few people of our community who are into government jobs, and after that a stay order was declared by the court and after that no action was taken"

What prevented you from posting this aspect in the first instance? 

The stay granted places the things in a different context. The ideal course of action is that for at lease some amongst those whose certificates have been taken back to get impleaded in the pending petition.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     26 December 2022

Kindly do not share facts on instalement basis.  Your ealier post did not indicate that this case is sub-judice.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register