LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

kattapa   20 August 2015

Is it possible to add supplementary after chargesheet filed

My sister committed suicide due to the harassment by her husband and in-laws. We have filed a case under section 306 & 498a. The chargesheet is already filed. 
But, later, we spoke with some of her friends and realized that she had mentioned to them regd some of the harassment. We want these to be added to the case. So, we requested our inspector. He's agreed to add it as supplementary sheet. 
But, some lawyers that i have consulted say that it's not possible for the investigating office to add any supplementary sheet after the cahrgesheet has been filed.

Pls let me know your views/ how to go ahead with this.


 2 Replies

Sarmmarmbb (goi)     20 August 2015

it is very much possible, sir. It is called further investigation in which Police has all jurisdiction to conduct further investigation and even Supreme Court has held that Police need not require any approval to initiate further investigation as and when any new facts come to light before Police.  And police can file supplementary chargesheet incorporating new facts, evidences and making your case more stronger and send it to the Magistrate.


puja saxena (private practice)     20 August 2015

What type of harassment are these if they come under some sections then new section can be added in supplementary charge sheet or you may move an application before court for thorough investigation by disclosing all these facts.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query