Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

vasanthan Ramaswamy   08 January 2024

Is dance practice at home a offense

Respected Sir/Madam,

I live in Mulund, Mumbai in a 7 storey Apartment, at 5th floor of the said building. My daughter, who is 12 years old is learning Bharatnatyam at an institute. She has some competitions and for that she does the dance practice at home for an hour either between 10 to 1 or in the evening between 6 to 8. However, my neighbor, who stays below has problem, saying that the dancing disturbs them and asking us to stop it. 
- Just wanted to know, is it an offence to do dance practice at home. 

- Whether there any specific time to do dance practice as per Indian Law

Learning

8 Replies

SAM (LEGAL)     08 January 2024

Write a letter to the society asking for permission that your daughter is practicing dance for an hour from 10 to 1 or in the evening between 6 to 8. If the society gives you permission then your neighbour cant object to it.

Sir, thank you so much for your reply

SAM (LEGAL)     08 January 2024

Subject: Permission for dance practice at my home due to upcoming ___________ competition for 1 hour

Dear Sir/madam

I _____________ am residing at flat no.____, ____ Floor, _____ Wing in __________________ society. I would like to state that I am participating in ___________ dance competition at _________. For these reasons I would need dance practice at my home from __:__ (start time) to __:__ (end time). I am writing this letter to you to ask for the permission of dance practice at my home wherein I will be doing dance practice for upcoming ______________ competition on __/__/____ (Date) from __:__ (start time) to __:__ (end time) because of dance competion ______ (event details).

I will ensure that I will follow society’s rules and regulations. I will ensure that I will also keep the volume low so that other residents don’t get disturbed. All the safety measures will be strictly followed by me during dance paractice at my home and will undertake that I will not disturb any of my neighbours.

I hope to get a positive reply from you soon so that I can start preparing for dance competion for 1 hours.

Thank you for taking this request into consideration.

Yours sincerely

Dear Sir,

Thanks a lot for taking time and drafting the said letter. It would be helpful to me.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     08 January 2024

Residing in an Apartment Building may not give as much free will as a dancer would have thought. If the dancing in apartment is a cause of disturbance for the neighbours, one can’t really blame them. This is a tricky situation, as according to society bye-laws, all residents sign up for peaceful and harmonious living when they move into a Housing Society.

• Its clear that if your dancing involves a a lot of jumping or stomping of the feet, your neighbours might have a tough time with it. However, one way you could reduce the thumping on their ceilings is by getting one of those puzzle piece rugs. Basically, they are 2 inch thick foams to dance on top of. This can help reduce the noise impact of the stomping. Alternatively, you could also try dancing on a thick rug by placing a rubber mat underneath. 

vasanthan Ramaswamy   09 January 2024

Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your reply and advise. Actually the below neighbor has issue with everything. Not only for my daughter's dance practice. Once during Ganpati Festival one of our guest visited our house and they had small kids. You might be knowing how small kids, especially boys play (jumping on the floor and bed), for that also they came up and said its disturbing us. They have problem with their adjacent house also for keeping the shoes outside their flat.
Spoke to our Society Secretary and he says they are non-co-operative people, so even if put your spoon by mistake on your floor, they will come and complain, so better avoid them. He further said every Society has one person, who troubles other and he is one of ours. In fact, they offered their flat for my daughter's dance practice.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     10 January 2024

The advice by society in this regard is practical and fact. 

It is unfortunate to live with such type of sadistic neighbors.

You may manage till it's possible and later on look for solution as per the prevailing circumstances. 

vasanthan Ramaswamy   10 January 2024

Sir, thank you and to the another Advocate/Lawyer Mr. Sam, for spending your valuable time and advising.  

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register