Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

KSM   08 April 2023

In indian cyber laws when police wants to trace a mobile number... they have to get warrant ?

Is a warrant needed to approach a network operator like JIO ? Or the SP or DC can sign the request ? Some say even the inspector SHO can get the mobile subscribers info and CDR records. How do they do it ?

And also as per law.... the operator will give info only for the number requested or can the police ask the operator if the subscriber has other numbers also in his name and will the operator reveal this. Or is it like police can only get info for specific numbers which they mention and have got warrant/permission for ?

Learning

4 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     09 April 2023

Repeated query today itself.

Please avoid such repitition.

KSM   09 April 2023

Sorry but repeated where please ? It was failing with error when i gave submit. Hence i refreshed and submitted again. Maybe it got posted twice ? Can you plz point me to the link where it is submitted ?

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     09 April 2023

The Police can get the records of the call and even can trace the mobile number through IMEI number too.

The police can obtain the records legally because it is part of their professional practice.

KSM   10 April 2023

Yes sir my main query is.... do the police have to give the number they want info/tracking on or can they just walk into vodafone and ask for other numbers also in the same subscribers name. I heard they can omly petition ofr certain numbers and they will get a reply from the MSProvider only for the numbers they requested. The network wont say ah yes Mr A aso has these numbers in his name......this is what i heard....is it true ?

Thank you

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register