LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Beard (Mod)     03 July 2014

Hyderabadi haleem gi implications

As per Application no. 193 of the GI Registry, Hyderabad Haleem was granted GI status. My question is related to what it means exactly. 

1. Does this mean that the term 'Hyderabad Haleem' cannot be used outside of Hyderabad?

2. Can the term 'Haleem' be used on a standalone basis (i.e. without a prefix of Hyderabad) for a food item?

3. Can anybody in Hyderabad use the term 'Hyderabad Haleem' or only the Authorised sellers can?

4. Where can I get the details of the GI?

Thank you for your patience.

Learning

2 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     05 July 2014

Seems to be an academic query.  If this is not affecting the patent law, it can be used elsewhere too. What is your actual query and how are you related to this?

Advocate Ravinder (Advocate/Attorney)     05 July 2014

Geological Patent means.  For example if a chef who is an expert in preparing Haleem and who is an employee of a hotel in Hyderabad goes to Delhi Hotel and prepares the same Haleem in that Hotel, the Hotel people cannot sell it as Hyderabad Haleem.  They should prefix some other name (other than Hyderabad).

The Haleem which is prepared in Hyderabad only can be sold in the name of Hyderabad Haleem. 

Some other examples are Tirupathi Temple Laddu, Dharmavaram Sarees, Hyderabad Biryani, Kashimir shawals etc. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register