LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

senthilkumarkanniah   09 June 2015

How to vacate a rogue tenant immediately?

Iam an NRI and now facing a problematic tenant in chennai who to refuses to vacate my property in

T Nagar.He's not paid rent for 8 months and I have served him notice to vacate 6 months back.He's even threatened me with the help of some local rowdy to give him time(I don't know how long). Since Iam not based in India,it's difficult for me to pursue this matter and the tenant doesn't even answer my phone calls.Could you please advise me how to get him vacated within a week or so please? I don't want to use legal methods as it will take lot of time and effort.People have suggested local dada/Police but I don't know where and how I can contact these middlemen?


 6 Replies


do these steps

1. record the threats

2. get a FIR registerd with the a police

3. hire a competent lawyer.

4 if police refuses to register a FIR due to local pressure, send a email to commissioer of chennai..things will automatically start working.

it is true that police cannot interfere in tenancy matters..but harras your tenant throuhg police via ther options..nothing to worry....just do the above and sit and watch..

in the mean time,file a eviction suit..since the tenant hahd not paid the have good chances of moving the case faster for a eviction suit -

give the tenant a impression that you have more power than him locally and being an NRI is not a barrier ..

senthilkumarkanniah   09 June 2015

Thanks for your message.The tenant appears to be bankrupt but claims to be a registered stage speaker for the ruling political party.The tenancy agreement has expired in Jan 2015.He says he's looking for a house to move for past 6 months but I think he's waiting for me to take legal route so that he can stay for many years free.Do you know someone/advocate/specialists for this kind of work who can help me get police help to evict him in T Nagar area? I don't mind taking care of expenses.

Biswanath Roy (Advocate)     15 June 2015

Filing of an eviction suit and to obtain an order from the court for attachment of  all movables in the tenancy will be the only quickest possible eviction of the tenant. If you are in need of  my help you may contact me. My mail ID is


like i said. somehow get the threat recorded and file a police complaint..

escalate it to SP and commissioner level. until a FIR gets registerd...worst case police will call for a enquiry and settle a compromise with a option of gettting him evicted if they are pressured to get a FIR registerd. be calm and have already waited or 8months. ...

on a friendly note - never use the word  -  I don't mind taking care of expenses.with anyone  or anywhere especially being an NRI.. one of my NRI friend was quoted a charge of 40k for a simple consumer court case only because he is an NRI..can you believe that?



Kumar   15 September 2018

I am facing similar problem. We rented him home 25+ years ago. He is not vacating. He is transfering rent by bank online. We are not providing him any rent receipt so far. Does the bank statement could be considered as an enough proof which can rule out not providing receipt is not a problem? How to initiate to vacate my home? What should be my first step and road map to get him vacated successfully? Should I send him notice to vacate home? The home is on my grandma's name in a document. Shall I directly send eviction notice to him without sending a notice asking him to vacate? What is a reasonable fee for all of these notices and running this case successfully till the end?

kirandass dass   03 November 2018

Dear sir
I am in Bangalore my tenant is not vacating the house after giving there leasse amount I have gave 90% of leasse amount but still he saying I am not finding good house kindly help me in vacating the by 7 days pls help me expense I will Baer

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query