The procedure to change your surname is given below
- Prepare an affidavit, which mentions your old name, name of your father or husband, date of birth, residential address and your name with changed surname.
- The affidavit should be on proper stamp paper and must be attested by notary public or oath commissioner.
- After the affidavit is made, an advertisement in two newspapers one local and other national has to be made, as per the content of Step 1. Such newspapers must be on roll of gazette of India.
- The affidavit has to be notified in gazette of India. Though each state has its own gazette, it is advised to go for central gazette as only it is binding on all departments.
- Your changed surname will be published between 8-14 days.
- Once the surname is changed and published in gazette of India, you can change it for all the documents except for educational documents.
Hope this answers your question.