LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rocky King   16 July 2020

House rent allowance during study leave

I am a central government employee. I availed study leave with sponsorships for two years for higher study (Postgraduation). During my study leave, I have get full salary with house rent allowance (HRA) of the city where I did my higher study. During my study, I have stay in hostel provided by the institute (central government autonomous deemed university). I am married and my family stays at my original posting station in rented accommodation. After three years of completion of my study my employer have intimated me that beyond 180 days of your study leave, HRA is not applicable because you have stay in govt. hostel and they said they will recover the paid extra hra from salary.
I have not claimed any allowance transfer allowance/Joining allowance or any other allowance which may be applicable. My employer reimburse only my tusion fee of study.

Questiin: My question is that, if I stay at government hostel and my family stay at rented accommodation of my posting station during my study leave then in this case HRA is applicable for me or not?

Learning

3 Replies

Harendra Kumar (A Practicing Lawyer)     16 July 2020

In a general submission that you availed two benefits of the HRA and another is study leave if both cannot be availed then you should leave one benefit which is lower. I hope this is a better way without going litigation.

In judicial pronouncement, you can be availed both benefits because one of the relations is your higher study and another is related to your family matter, both are necessary and cannot be split.  

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     17 July 2020

Originally posted by : Harendra Kumar
In a general submission that you availed two benefits of the HRA and another is study leave if both cannot be availed then you should leave one benefit which is lower. I hope this is a better way without going litigation.

In judicial pronouncement, you can be availed both benefits because one of the relations is your higher study and another is related to your family matter, both are necessary and cannot be split.  

Not agreed.  During any sanctioned leave HRA is admissible.

Gabby Mark   15 February 2022

To rent a house means to live in a house owned by someone and pay for it monthly or fortnightly. The person who rents the house is called the tenant and the person who owns the house is called the landlord. There are several advantages when it comes to renting a house than owning it. Visit : https://fundly.com/how-fundraising-for-charity-helps-students-in-their-studies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register