LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sandeep Sehgal   04 July 2021

for ews category

Hello sir. My father have 616 square feet plot and my grand father have property 700 square metre. And my father have two brother and 2 sister. Our family income is less than 8 lakh. I am eligible for ews category?

Learning

4 Replies

Umamageswari Maruthappan (-)     10 July 2021

Greetings of the day!

To answer your query:

The Central Government, through the 103rd Amendment Act of 2019, added a new provision to the Indian Constitution providing 10% reservation to the Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) of the Society. There are some eligibility criteria with respect to the EWS category:

1. Persons whose family has gross annual income below ₹8 lakhs which would include income from all sources i.e., salary,agriculture, business, profession etc.

2. Persons whose family owns or possesses any one of the following assets:

(a) Below 5 acres of Agricultural land.

(b) Residential flat of below 1000 sq.ft.

(c) Residential plot of below 100 sq.yards in notified municipalities.

(d) Residential plot of below 200 sq.yards in areas other than the notified municipalities.

3. The property held by a family in different locations would be clubbed for the purpose of calculating the eligibility criteria.

4. Family would include the person who seeks EWS reservation, his/her parents, siblings below the age of 18 years, his/ her spouse and children below the age of 18 years.

So, according to the above mentioned criteria, you need not include your grand father's or your uncle/aunt's property. It is only your father, mother, sibling, wife, and children, who will be seen as your family for this purpose. 

In order to get reservation under EWS category, make sure that all the properties in the name of your family come under the limit provided above.

If yes and family income is also less than 8 lakhs, then you are eligible to get the reservation.

However, if it exceeds the limit provided above, then you would not be eligible irrespective of the family income.

​​​​​​Hope this helps!

​​​​​​Regards,

Umamageswari Maruthappan

Anaita Vas   17 January 2022

This is the eligibility criteria for you to qualify as an EWS candidate:

• Candidate's annual family income must be less than Rs. 8 lakhs per annum.
  • Their family must not own more than 5 acres of agriculture land.
  • The residential flat area should be below 1000 sq ft.
  • The residential plot's area should be below 100 square yards if in a notified municipality sector.
  • The residential plot's area should be below 200 square yards if in a non-notified municipality sector.

Thus, as per the family income and land requirements, you cannot be covered under EWS category.

Regards,

Anaita Vas

Aryan Raj   19 January 2022

Dear Anaita,

What about the land that was owned by the queriest's grandfather what will happen after the distribution of that land amongst the siblings?

Regards,

Aryan Raj 

Anaita Vas   19 January 2022

As per the information regarding your land, you will be eligible for the EWS category. 

However, if your grandfather, divides his land, each one will get around 175 sq meters which are 209 yards which is less than 5 acres. Thus, you qualify for EWS category.

Regards,

Anaita Vas

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register