Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     16 November 2010

Fight Against Corruption Some Good Newses.

Corruption In India has crossed it's limit, and common man has started revolting against it. Plz go thru the  news item below,

In Gujarat, e-literate paanwala googles NREGS, stumbles on Rs 1-crore scam

Mon, Nov 15 06:09 AM

A newly e-literate village paanwala's obsession with Google has blown the lid off a unique NREGS scam in Porbandar. The motley bunch of beneficiaries include affluent NRIs, doctors, government officials, teachers and well-off farmers — all shown as unemployed village labourers holding NREGS job cards. So far, the money siphoned off comes to nearly Rs 1 crore.

On paper, there are 963 NREGS job cardholders at Kotda village in Kutiyana taluka of Porbandar district. Records show they have been paid over Rs 95 lakh for their 'labour' over the past three years. In reality though, none of them have ever dug wells or built roads in their lives or actually received any money for the same under NREGS or otherwise.

The scam came to light after Aslam Khokhar (37), a Class X dropout and a paan shop owner in Kutiyana learnt how to use computers and searched NREGS on Google. "I was thrilled to find every detail of NREGS work in our area on the website. But I then came across the job card of a friend, who is a government employee.

I searched and found there are doctors, teachers and NRIs I personally know in the village, listed as 'labourers' on the site," said Khokar.

Veja Modedara, an independent councillor at Kutiyana taluka panchayat, and Congress worker like Bhanukant Odedara soon joined hands with Khokhar. The trio conducted door-to-door meetings with villagers named in the website and found they had neither worked on any NREGS site nor received any wages.

Several like Bharat Ganga (23), who has been to Muscat for the past three years, were shocked to learn that they were named as NREGS employees on record and have been even paid for their work. "How can this be? I moved out of India three years ago," Ganga told The Indian Express.

Varu Karsan Uka (38), an official with the Pashcim Gujarat Vij Company Limited for 15 years also holds the job card number GJ-21-005-030-001/726. Even his wife has been also named as a card holding labourer. According to the records, the couple had built roads and dug wells for 60 days and received Rs 6,000 for their work. "How can I possibly get an NREGS job card when I am a state government official ?" said Uka.

Dr Dayaram Babhania (58), a well-known physician in Kutiyana too holds a job card (number GJ-21-005-030-001/526), though he admits never to have lifted a pickaxe in his entire life.

Other like him on the list are Range Forest Officer Jesa Odedara, Forest Guard Arshi Bhattu, Gujarat State Road Transport Corporation (GSRTC) employees Meru Odedara and Arjan Odedara, teacher Leela Dasa, Ex-serviceman Kunti Rama and NRIs Haja Modha, who have long left the village and settled in Israel. On paper, all are 'labourers' and many have been paid too.

Kutiyana Sub-Inspector I Damor said the police probe will take a while since details of all the 963 accounts need to be verified.

Kutiyana Taluka Development Officer J Gamit said, "Preliminary investigation by the department has revealed that at least 73 cardholders are government employees, professionals or NRIs."

District Development Officer K D Bhatt said: "We will begin a door-to-door survey to find the exact scale of the scam."

Source:

https://in.news.yahoo.com/48/20101115/804/tnl-in-gujarat-e-literate-paanwala-googl.html

Learning

2 Replies

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     16 November 2010

Below is the news item, where TATA's were asked bribe, but the refused to budge, even at the cost of their Interest.

A minister had asked for Rs 15 cr bribe: Tata

Mon, Nov 15 04:25 PM

Dehradun: When asked to reveal his mantra for success without compromising with ethics and values, Tata Group Chairman Ratan Tata said he did not have a methodology in this regard but he has an example to tell the audience.

"Several years ago, Tatas were trying to set up a domestic airlines in collaboration with Singapore Airlines. Even though we were pioneer in airline industry, we had enormous problems if you remember through the reports in the media.

"We approached three Prime Ministers also. But an individual thwarted our efforts to form the airlines." he said.

Later, Tata said a fellow industrialist commented, "You are stupid people. The Minister was asking for Rs 15 crore. Why didn't he pay?"

The top industrialist was responding to a query from audience after delivering 8th Uttarakhand foundation lecture on "India in the 21st century: Opportunities and Challenges" on the occassion of 10th anniversery of formation of hill state.

Ratan Tata also made it clear there were no change in his plans to retire in 2012 even as he assured a successor who is committed to "ethics and value". Tata, who took the the USD 72 billion dollar company to new heights and made the world's cheapest car Nano, has already announced he will quit office by the end of 2012.

"I don't want to change my deadline I set for my retirement. There are lots of sacrifices, one has to make in terms of personal life. I wanted my life back. I want to enjoy the things that I wanted to do," the top industrialist said here.

In August this year, the Board of Tata Sons Ltd has formed a selection committee comprising five members, including an external member for eventually deciding on a suitable successor to Ratan N Tata.

"There is no such thing indispensably individual. The day I succeeded JRD Tata, I felt in very large shoes. I knew that I cannot be another JRD and I have to be my own person", Tata said in reply to a question after delivering a lecture here.

"I believe my successor will be his own person and hopefully will do things for the country and the group the way we have been doing till now or much better. "I ferociously wanted to ensure that my successor has total commitment for ethics and values, we fought for years now," Tata said.

Source:

https://in.news.yahoo.com/20/20101115/1416/tnl-ratan-tata-refuses-to-postpone-his-r.html

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     17 November 2010

Common man move to fight against corruption, where a large no of common people gathered at Jantar Mantar including some famous Personalities like Ms. Kiran Bedi,

Shoot the corrupt: Baba Ramdev

Sunday, November 14, 2010 9:19:26 PM by IANS ( Leave a comment )

New Delhi, Nov 14 (IANS) People found guilty of corruption should be shot dead, Yoga guru Baba Ramdev said Sunday during a protest by his political party Bharat Swabhiman here against alleged graft in the recently concluded Commonwealth Games.

“India needs to execute atleast 20 corrupt officials to terrorize those corrupt ministers who’ve made a fortune at taxpayers’ expense,” he said, alluding to the corruption allegation surrounding the Games.

“We need to follow the Chinese example of shooting dead the people found guilty of corruption. India cannot emerge economically till the politicians, bureaucrats and officials responsible for defrauding Indian taxpayers are punished,” said Ramdev, addressing supporters at his protest rally at Jantar Mantar in central Delhi.

Ramdev addressed the rally after returning from Parliament Street police station, where he along with former police officer Kiran Bedi and right to information (RTI) activist Arvind Kejriwal Sunday filed a first information report against alleged corruption in the Oct 3-14 Games.

“We’ve submitted 370-page evidence to police,” said Kejriwal.

https://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/politics/shoot-the-corrupt-baba-ramdev_100459749.html

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register