LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

V Kumar Singh (Executive)     13 April 2022

False statement by witness

Dear Learned Members,

I have been accused of demanding dowry. This is a false allegation. A witness (friend of wife's) gives false statement that I did demand dowry. Can my lawyer approach the witness (along with documentary evidences in my support) rebutting this witnesses' allegation, and convey to this witness that giving false evidence in court can lead to arrest/imprisonment. Or would such action on the part of my lawyer be construed as 'influencing witness' ? Request please advise.

Thank you.


 2 Replies

Shubham Bhardwaj (Advocate)     13 April 2022

Dear Mr Singh,

Your lawyer cannot apprach the witness. As rightly suggested by you, that would be influencing the witness, which is a punishable offence. Your lawyer will cross examine the witness. In the cross examination put those document to the witness. The witness will concede. This is the proper way of doing it. 



Shubham Bhardwaj (Advocate)

District & Session Court, Chandigarh

Punjab & Haryana High Court, at Chandigarh


Disclaimer:- Opinion is only for guidance.  





P. Venu (Advocate)     13 April 2022

Yes, you are trying to be hyperactive. Please note that there is a alid down procedure; it would be counter productive to be wiser than the law and its procedure.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register