Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Deepa Iyer (software)     26 June 2014

Divorce - custody

Hi,

I am getting divorced through Mutual Consent and my ex has agreed for Custody of my 5 yrs daughter to be with me, with visitation rights for him. No Maintenance is being asked from my end.

My query is, When details regarding custody is being mentioned in the decree, can Guardianship also be provided/mentioned to me? What should be the term used in the document? Will just "Custody of the Child" suffice or should it be "Sole Custodian", or "Custody and Guardianship".

I would like to also ask, if having Custody alone will suffice for legal/official proceedings like Passport Application for my daughter, School Admissions etc? Or will there be a requirement for the father's signature?

Request you to kindly reply at the earliest.

Thanking you

Regards

Deepa

Learning

2 Replies

Rangee (Lawyer)     26 June 2014

hi,

1. Mother is natural gurdian for your child. you have filed application for divorce under Hindu Marriage Act and therefore the court will not award any decree on issue of legal guardianship to your child.

2.you should file one more application before court under guardianship act making your ex as party and obtain order/decree stating that you mother is official guardian for your child. other wise you will have to obtain consent of your ex while applying for passport of your minor child. 

hope you like it thanks 

Rsksingh B.Sc.LL.B

Samir N (General Queries) (Business)     28 June 2014

To add to the answer already given, you should also be concerned about visa and travel restrictions of other countries. Some countries, especially in the west, depending on the situation, often need the consent of both parents for taking a child out of the country. I do not know your situation and if that is in you future plans. However, if you and your husband end up in the same country along with your daughter, you may be confronted with a new situation unless you have a decree which specifically addresses such issues. I AM NOT AN ADVOCATE but I think that in addition to the decree, an irrevocable Power of Attorney from your husband in your favor, granting you his rights in all matters concerning the child, may help reinforce the decree.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register