Negotiable Instruments: Exhaustive Coverage by Adv Roma Bhagat. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Arindam Ghosh   04 August 2021

Divorce Case

Can I file a divorce case if my wife always threatened me to commit suicide & also once she tried it. Even most of the times when some big quarrels happens between us she takes sleeping pills. Her main motive is that I should stay away from my parents with her tatsy she often do all such things in my parents residence. Even always tried to manipulate me & poison me about my mother when I don't encouraged her & try to stop her she screams & say I will commit suicide.

What should I do? I want to go for a mutual divorce but her family don't want that they always try to make peace between us make her understand but in person she doesn't want that.


 4 Replies

sumalya chakraborty   05 August 2021

There're various ways to get rid of this situation. Feel free to contact me. 8017163402. 

1 Like

srishti jain   06 August 2021

As per your query,

When a wife threatens to commit suicide, a case of Criminal Intimidation can be filed. You should visit the police station and speak to the station officer or inspector about it.

Inform local SHO of the police station. Inform him through an application stating that your wife is having suicidal tendencies, and you should not be held responsible in case such a thing happens. Inform the same to her parents and also to make her attend counselling.

In addition, regular threats to commit suicide amounts to cruelty, which is a ground for divorce. You can file for divorce. If the multiple and regular threat of committing divorce is given by the wife, though the wife does not have the intention to commit it, this will amount to mental cruelty and a valid ground for divorce.

Mental cruelty is inferred from the facts and matrimonial relations of the parties disclosed by the evidence. Thus, mental cruelty has to be established, from the facts.

If in situations where she commits suicide and leaves your name as an abettor behind, you might land into some serious trouble. Therefore, it is required of you that on such threats, you must file a complaint of the situation and mention the suicidal tendencies of the wife.


Hope it helps,



Manoj Chaudhary Advocate   08 August 2021

@shrishti do you really think that police will take his complaint????
not all queries need to be advised as a lawyer dear.
Dear quarist!!! better put CCTV in your home with voice recorder... see the change in her behavior. after installing you will get to know what is the exact issue going on. hope it will help you

Kevin Moses Paul   10 August 2021

Mr Manoj Chaudhary has provided you a better method to resolve the situation taking place, and you should give it a shot in order to avoid this ruckus.

However, I would like to make some additions in the solutions provided above. See do one thing, consult a psychiatrist regarding your wife's behaviour in order to understand the medical concept. Doctor might provide you with some suggestions, make sure to implement them, in case there's no change in your wife's attitude, then take your wife to the psychiatrist for consultation purpose.

After the consultation doctor will provide a report based upon his observations. This report can be used by you to defend yourself in case any mishap takes place or she takes some serious step.

⭕ If doctor's report states that your wife is a psychiatrist patient, then in case she threatens you again or calls police or takes any inappropriate measure, then this report can save you from being liable as it will clearly represent that your wife was dealing with mental issues due to which such (any severe step she takes) step was taken by her, and thus there was no involvement of the husband (you) in the same.

⭕ In case the doctor, states that your wife does not have any mental issues, then the already installed CCTV cameras in your house (as advised by Mr Manoj Chaudhary) along with the doctors report can be submitted to the police in case she takes any unwanted step.

Overall, the doctors report (i.e. a medical professionals observations) will highly impact to save you from any inquiry or issues that may arise if any mishap takes place.

Therefore, along with CCTV, the medical report is very crucial for you in such sort of situation, in order to prove your innocence.

Hope It Helps!

Kevin M. Paul

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register