Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anandkumar (business)     17 August 2021

Divorce a foreign spouse

How to divorce a foreign wife 

I am an  Indian citizen i got married with french bride in France in the year 2015 as per the french law . Both we are hindu and her parents living in pondicherry she got french citizenship adopted by her grandparents . she doesn't have Indian passport she take tourist visa for visiting India . Both we had so many problem while live so i came to India in the year 2016 for the past 5 years we speared . I don't have any contact with her and i don't know whether she got another marriage or not . How to apply divorce for this marriage . Respected Lawyers  please guide me in this issue

Learning

2 Replies

Shobhit Bhatia (Litigation Work)     17 August 2021

If you can establish contact with your wife and if she cooperates, you may file a mutual divorce in India as well citing irretrievable breakdown based on years long separation. There maybe other options if incase this does not work out for which you may get in touch with a lawyer.

Ananya Gosain   02 September 2021

Foreign Marriage Act was passed in the year 1969 to provide provisions for marriages of Indian citizens who are outside the territories of India. It is modelled upon the Special Marriage Act (SMA) which was passed in 1954. when the parties marry in a foreign country then the relief can be claimed under this section. It supported it with the case Joyce Sumathi v. Robert Dickson Brodie where the wife filed a petition for divorce under section 27 of the Special Marriage Act read with section 18(1) of this act. It was held that the petition was maintainable. Section 18(3)(a)(ii) talks about a minimum of 3 years residence in immediately preceding the petition.Although the act has a wide scope and explanation, it does not specifically state any provision in case of divorce, nullity or any other matrimonial remedy or relief, in marriages solemnized under this act. However, this need has been fulfilled by adding certain provisions which follow the provisions of the Special Marriage Act. Hope this helps. Regards

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register