IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jolly (accountant)     15 May 2014


Hi All,

My wife has filed divorce at chennai whereas we were (couple) staying in delhi and all the incidence has been happen delhi itself. Please let me know where should i consult any lawyer. Is there any  possibility to transfer the divorce case from chennai to delhi.

Please advice urgently.


 15 Replies

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     15 May 2014

a strong reason should be there like you cannot appear due to job threat of loosing

she may had given her parents address as staying and filed the divorce case and from chennai local lawyer you have to heir or take your place lawyer means you have spend more amount 

now there are law firm were every state they have branches and you can take services 

Mahesh R. Sonawane (Lawyer/Fight for justice)     15 May 2014

It is better to take help of Chennai lawyer.

You can take chance to transfer the said case from chennai to DELHI by filing transfer petition in High court...

but in most of the cases, the preference given to wife's difficulty...

Gautam Kapoor (IT professional Studying Law)     15 May 2014

take from me 99% you cannot. Very easy for a wife to transfer divorce case filed by husband to her native place but the reverse is not true.

You plea saying that you have a job and are willing to bear the to/fro expenditures will fall into deaf years as the judge first question will be “If you cannot travel...how do you expect your wife to travel“

If you indeed want divorce then absolutely no need for you travel.Relax and let the divorce go exparte.

satish bhaskar (Litigant)     15 May 2014

contest it in chennai.

Gautam Kapoor (IT professional Studying Law)     15 May 2014

contesting the case is ill advised if you too want divorce.If you abstain the divorce proceedings in chennai exparte divorce will be provided to your wife.

Jolly (accountant)     15 May 2014

I also want divorce...but its difficult for me to attend the hearing if its frequently.Can i know how many times hearing will be in a month or how what is the rules for fix of date of hearing.. I will trying to do MCD. But not sure whether petitioner will be agree...

satish bhaskar (Litigant)     15 May 2014

your lawyer will do the needful in lieu of compensation for services.

Gautam Kapoor (IT professional Studying Law)     15 May 2014

you are confused.If you want divorce as well then you DO NOT HAVE TO CONTEST THE CASE.,not bothered about any hearing dates.The court will initially give you summons to attend the hearing...accept them all and do not attend any hearing.The case will turn exparte against you and your wife will get divorce,which means you too.You do not have to pay any lawyer as well.Why talk of MCD when you will already get divorce.


satish bhaskar (Litigant)     15 May 2014

it would help to know the details, issues or differences that cropped up; in the long term. a wife can file much more severe complaints against husband and his family.

Jolly (accountant)     15 May 2014

I dont know exactly what she wants..She has put all illegal allegation over me like beating, cruelty. And also submitted false rental agreement that my self was staying in chennai from the beginning.

I am confused why she is doing like this. What is her intention.Actually she wants me to settle in chennai for that my in-laws and wife both were presurizzing me. When they came to know i will never be settle in chennai then after wife has left me in delhi and went to chennai ( her hometown). I was clearly told her that if you want divorce for that also i am agree. Then why she is doing like this idiotic things...


mayuri (homemaker)     20 May 2014

@ Gautam Kapoor,
like to knw wht abt alimony, maint., streedhan, etc.  she demanded in her petition.
in ex-partee, all demand r approved.

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     21 May 2014

it is very tough once you get ex-parte order against you without your presence or your lawyer as lot of them say lot of things but it is you who have to decide and appoint a lawyer to defend your allegations and get divorce decree 

now the above client has to file another petition and fight again from scratch 

satish bhaskar (Litigant)     21 May 2014

let a lawyer from chennai represent you. a good lawyer will see that you don't travel unnecessarily. also represent your side.

Gautam Kapoor (IT professional Studying Law)     21 May 2014

:) good point Madhuri...divorce from a lady does not come without any purse strings attached.Correction :The author is advised to contest the case if they are demands for maintenance,alimony... otherwise not necessary.

As usual,I do not understand my esteemed friends post “it is very tough once you get ex-parte order against you without your presence or your lawyer as lot of them say lot of things ”

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query