LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shruti   26 May 2022

Daughters equality compensation

When daughter and son have been raised differently, that is more money spent on son's clothing, food, bike and education, but daughter is more intelligent and makes more money than son, parents start asking money from daughter saying that son and daughter are equal. I asked them to compensate me for shortchanging me on my upbringing compared to brother, but they threatened to write a Will, favoring brother and excluding me. What should I do? I want to make my parents happy but I don't want to get taken advantage of either. 

Please note that my parents are financially okay, they don't need the money as such but asking me for money which I suspect they want to Will to my brother. Basically, siphon money from me and give to brother since I make more money.

Learning

2 Replies

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     26 May 2022

You may or may not give money to your parents that is your prerogative, but your parents have the right to WILL their self earned property to whomever they wish and you or anyone else can not interfere or challenge them in the matter. 

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     26 May 2022

It is the duty of the parents to bring up children and once the child becomes an adult, he/she can make own decision on payment of such amounts to parents.  Parents have the same right on their self acquired property and they can bequeath the property they like.  Your giving or not giving money parents can not affect their rights on their own property.  You can pay them the money and may insist on a joint bank account and show the transaction through transfers so that others can not claim such money as a right..  In general in traditional families parents never demand money from their children with a fear that such collection of money may reduce the children's span of life.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register