LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jyotimoy Trafalgar Law   27 June 2022

cousin marriage

I am from Hindu Community. Can I marry my cousin? Is there any legal actions taken against people who marry 1st cousin in state of Assam??

Learning

7 Replies

SAM (LEGAL)     28 June 2022

Dont marry your cousin or your family tree will inherit defective genes. Marrying under same family tree may give rise to problem in defective genes

Aarti Goswami   28 June 2022

As per section 3(g)(iv) one person can not marry if the two are brother and sister, uncle and niece,aunt and nephew or children of brother and sister or of two brothers or of two sisters. so you fall in this category and marriage is prohibited.
1 Like

P. Venu (Advocate)     28 June 2022

The marriage is permissible if such a custom is prevalent in your community. Even otherwise, the legal provision withstanding, it is seldom that transgressions are punished!

Jyotimoy Trafalgar Law   29 June 2022

What if I don't marry her and stay with her like live-in couples? Will it be still considered as a crime? Please answer

Gm Blockpost   29 June 2022

Under the Hindu Marriage Act, cousin marriage is illegal under S. 1(g) of the Act, as cousins are collateral descendants. Sorry to have to say this. 

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     03 July 2022

In the whole of South India including Maharashtra marriage between cross cousins (children of brother and sister) is customary and hence allowed. I do not know about Assam. In Tamilnadu a girl can marry her maternal uncle. There are opinions for and against avuncular marriages. No truths have been established. A maariage comes into question only when a vested interest outside the marriage questions the same.

FlorinValentin   28 January 2024

Interesting fact

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register