LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More


court marriage

1) What is the procedure of court marriage in punjab and hon'ble High of P&H? 

2) What are necessary documents required?

3) Is There any intimation given to parents if children go for court marriage against their will?


 16 Replies


If the children claim police protection then can this protection can be rebutted if conduct and character of groom(boy) is not good. Whether any intimation is given to parents before giving any protection?

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     13 April 2010

these are the documents needed for registration of marriage :

  • Application form completed in all respect and signed by both Husband & Wife.
  • Proof of residence (Voter I-card/Ration card).
  • Separate affidavit in prescribed format from Husband & Wife.
  • Date of birth proofs of both parties (10th Class certificate, Date of birth certificate).
  • Two passport size photograph of Husband and Two Passport Size Photograph of Wife and one photo of marriage.
  • Marriage invitation card if available.
  • Original copy of divorce decree/order in case of a divorcee and death certificate of spouse in case of widow/widower.
  • In case one of the parties belong to other than Hindu Budhist, Jain and Sikh religions, a conversion certificate from the priest who solemnized the marriage ( in case of Hindu Marriage Act).
  • In case applicant is a foreign national, a NO Objection Certificate in original from the concerned High Commission to be submitted along with the application form.
  • If marriage was solemnized in a religious place, a certificate from the priest is required who solemnized the marriage.
  • One witness of Gazetted Officer ( Gazetted Officer should bring Official Seal and Office Identity Card)
  • IMPORTANT : All documents needs to be attested by Gazetted Officer.

Police protection may be granted if they are majors. I do not hink parents will be intimated as, both are competent to marry legally.

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     13 April 2010

Dear Mr. Mehta


I am a practicing lawyer in Punjab and Haryana High Court.


the information you are looking for is regarding protection to run away couple.


let me tell you one thing very clearly that no marriage is being performed or being registered in the High Court as the HC is not a competent authority in this regard.


the run away couples do approach HC for grant of police protection and to protect them from false litigation as well.


in actual terms no security guards are provided rather formal orders are passed....such orders however do not put the parents in any litigation or other trouble...the police may call parents to instruct to the extent that no interference shall be made in the life of newly wedded couple.


few benches used to dispose off such petitions at the very first hearing and few would issue notice first.


now the current scenario is the HC is not entertaining any such petition as there is an interim order by the Ist Division Bench which directed that all such petitions shall be entertained by Sessions Judge.....its still an interim order and practically we find it to be illegal and unconstitutional but till the matter is finally decided the orders will stand.


the documents which are attached to seek protection are Proof of Age (may be matriculation certificate or voter card etc.); Marriage Photographs, Marriage Certificates issued by the concerned temple or Gurudwara and copy of representation given to police (if any).


Sir actually the case has come in which boy and girl had run away from home. The character of boy is very bad. he is charged in number of cases and is also drug addict. The parent of the boy know abt them but not producing them. The girl parents want to meet girl and wanna confirm that she ran away with her consent as they fear that there might not be blackmailing by boy to girl. What suggestions would u like to give to girls parents? What steps they should take?

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     13 April 2010

better visit the local police station and lodge an FIR with the police for offences like kidnapping, theft of money and gold etc. by that boy.


u approach the police authorities, they are aware what to write in the FIR in such cases.


in case you are still unable to recover the girl then approach HC by way of Habeas Corpus petition.


its advisable that approach the Police authorities first.


one more thing dont go offensive against the girl if she is major and has gone with her own consent, in that case the law will be against parents.


nidhi kalia (lawyer)     13 April 2010



sir girl is major  and boy is also major in present case. so no fir can be registered. So what steps should be taken next in present case.

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     13 April 2010

who says that if the boy is major then no FIR can be registered against him.


if the parents are not interested in approaching police then excommunicate the girl and severe all social ties with her....let them live their own lives....but no killings and injuries.


sir which charges can be framed against boy by police.

Kamal Grover (Advocate High Court Chandigarh M:09814110005     14 April 2010

Plz appraoch the police, they will guide you and write the proper FIR, but dont delay else they will not entertain your complaint.

You may blame anything like gold theft etc then police will itself do everything.

Our sympthy is with you but dont delay.


advocate jain (advocate)     14 April 2010

i agree wth mr kiran kumar


Thx sir, i had given u'r advice to the parents of the child who are living in our street.

imamul (business)     17 April 2010

What documents are required for court marriage if both boy and girl are muslim, and tell me the procedure for court marraige in jharkhand and west Bengal

sandeep verma (advocate)     20 October 2010

Documents required for Performance & Registration of court Marriage...

1.Passport Size Photographs - four each of Marrying Persons.

2.Residential Proof (Voter Card / Passport / Ration Car / Driving License / Bank Passbook / Lease Deed / Rent Deed) of Marrying Persons.

3.Date of Birth Proof (Municipal Corporation Certificate, Xth or XIIth Examination Certificate, Passport, PAN Card) of Marrying Persons.

3.If any party is divorcee – Certified copy of Decree of Divorce granted by the Court.

4.If any party is widow / widower – Death Certificate of the dead spouse.

5.If any party is a Foreign Citizen or holding a foreign Passport or is having foreign residential address - Certificate of Present Marital Status of the party / No Impediment Certificate / NOC from concerned Embassy and Valid VISA.

6.Two Witnesses ( Both should be major )


FOR MORE DETAILS YOU CAN CONTACT  @ 9818673748 ( Adv.Sandeep Verma).Delhi

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More

Related Threads