LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

RISHI JI   18 May 2022

Counter cases 498a

My brother has been discharged from JJ board in a false criminal case u/s 498a after seven years long battle.
now he has to file damages/ counter cases claim so Under which law that claim for false prosecution can be filed and under which provision.

Please advise experts.

Five years running in MM to session court for declaring junile.
after considering juvnile 2 years fight in JJ board.


 2 Replies

Shweta   19 May 2022

 Hello Sir,

The case will fall under Section 209 of the Indian Penal Code, 1860. Section 209 of the Indian Penal Code makes dishonestly making a false claim in a Court as an offence punishable with imprisonment up to two years and fine.

The essential ingredients of an offence under Section 209 are:

  1. The accused made a claim

  2. The claim was made in a Court of Justice

  3. The claim was false, either wholly or in part

  4. That the accused knew that the claim was false; and

  5. The claim was made fraudulently, dishonestly, or with intent to injure or to annoy any person.

The offence is complete the moment a false claim is filed in Court.

In the matter malicious prosecution of S. Nambi Narayanan v. Siby Mathews, 2018 SCC OnLine SC 1500, ‘Life demands self-respect and dignity’, were the words of former CJI Deepak Misra while awarding a compensation of Rs. 50 Lakhs to ISRO scientist Nambi Narayanan who was falsely accused of espionage by the Kerala Police. Section 211 of the Indian Penal Code which punishes any person with the intent to injure any person is also applicable.  Further, a case of defamation can also be filed under Section 499 of the Indian Penal Code, 1860.

RISHI JI   30 May 2022

please share landmark judgement related to defamation case after 498a discharge.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register