LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

anand das (service)     12 June 2010

contractor legal meaning

Which act mentions about duties responsibilities of a contractor or even just mentions about contractor ?

I am searching for all legal aspects of word 'contractor'.

Please guide or give reference where i should search for this ?

Learning

5 Replies

Kuljit Pal Singh (Legal Professional)     12 June 2010

Dear Friend

What about referring Contract Labour (R&A) Act, 1970??? in case u want to know about duties of Contractor in reference to Contract Labour. In fact most of the Labour Laws is having the definition of Contractor.

Regards

Sankaranarayanan (Advocate)     12 June 2010

all related matters for contract are come under the indian contract act 1872. the word contractor means person or company that does a particular job or assignment.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     12 June 2010

Legally speaking, the word "Contractor" means one who contracts or undertake to do a certain piece of work for a certain price and usually within a certain time and mostly by big firms that undertake the constructions of docks, dam, harbours, bridges and railways etc. It is also apply to a person who in the pursuit of an independent, business, undertakes to do specefic jobs of work for the persons without submitting himself to their control in respect of the details of the work. For detail discussions Refer to AIR 1958 SC 388

Sarjooram Sharma (Assistant Labour commissioner)     13 June 2010

Please go through contract labour act 1970

1 Like

anand das (service)     14 June 2010

Thank you very much sirs. 

Could you also tell me -

1. What is the difference between regular employee of a company and an independent contractor?

2. Could a person employed on employment for a fixed period of time , say for 3 years, be termed as independent contractor? Why ?

Thanks in advance. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register