LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mohan Krishan   14 May 2022

Consumer complaint

I had applied for my passport but it has been put on hold since they are compelling me to provide my permanent address. I have already told them verbally and on email that my current address (owned by me) is my only permanent address, but nothing is moving. Its going to be one year for this matter. I have even complained on pgportal but in vain. Can I proceed to consumer court for this matter or will I need to file a civil case? Thanks.

Learning

7 Replies

Harendra Kumar (A Practicing Lawyer)     14 May 2022

Dear Sir,

In viiew of the above a show caise issued by department, request the trace the same and incorporate all isses and submiitted the same with a proper. However,  oppointment must be taken through portal. If SCN did not issued in this regard, you shoiuld make reply accordiing and incorporate all facts and submitted the same before appropriate authoority.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     14 May 2022

First issue a notice and send a permanent address proof which is prescribed and valid, if PPO fails to take any action file complaint before forum after one month.

Pradipta Nath (Advocate)     15 May 2022

I don't think consumer complaint is maintainable! But better to invoke your writ jurisdiction. Please ensure that you serve them a legal notice for arising the cause of action.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     15 May 2022

In the past PPO was fined for the delay, PPO is within purview of CP Act as they are collecting such fees and time frame was fixed under citizen charter.

Mohan Krishan   15 May 2022

Thank you for responding. I forgot to mention that this is my 3rd passport renewal - I have had passport since 2001 upto 2021 with no issues of any kind ever and thats why its shocking that the passport office is behaving like this. What people have told is that the passport office does this deliberately so that you are forced to take the agent route which then benefits them. 

I have taken every measure till date - sent emails and reminders to all their 3 email IDs, visited them twice but I am not allowed to meet anyone, Unable to take any appointment since their portal is not allowing any appointment - file attached here. 

So as you have stated, I can approach Consumer Forum. Thanks.

Attached File : 400954 20220515140732 passport harassment continues.pdf downloaded: 38 times

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     16 May 2022

The case of seeking your residential information by PP authorities do not fall in the ambit of "Consumer", hence provisions of Consumer Protection Act, 2019 are not applicable.

Om Prakash   20 May 2022

I agree with Mr. JC Vasista, that your case doesn't fall under consumer act. However, you have to file a writ before the HIgh Court of your State. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register