Negotiable Instruments: Exhaustive Coverage by Adv Roma Bhagat. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Arti   26 January 2021

College not issuing my certificate

Hi Guys, I Did a Fashion designing curse at Wigan & Leigh College Delhi, at the time of my Education college was UK Affiliated and now it's not. After college, I had Major family issues and couldn't pursue the collection of certificates. I was also the winner of the Final Fashion show. now when I am checking my documents to prep up for my Kids Admission I realized That the certificate which I was handed over on Stage does not have any signatures and I haven't collected my Certificates. when I contacted College first they refused that I Studies there, when I spoke to my Teachers who thought me while I was in college they gave me a hint saying they lost all documents while relocating the college and probably that is what they are ducking out. Now I have documents that support my claim till the second year including fees submission and receipt, but i don't have any for final year, apart from Fashion show details, it was a rule that one will be allowed to attend final Fashion show only if you clear all outstanding Payments.which helps me confirm that none of my payments were due. is there any way to proceed legally with this, so I can get my certificates and help my child get admission in good school.


 4 Replies

Nandini Warrier   01 February 2021

Good evening,

The college authorities do not have the right to withhold your certificates from you. Write a formal letter to the principal, or the head of the college stating your concerns. If you've already approached them and you still are not availing any response, you can send them a legal notice to the college claiming damages for the non return of your certificates.

If they still do not respond and return your certificates after receiving a legal notice, then you can always file a case against the college in a consumer court. You can file a case under the State Education Act. It is mentioned in many state's education act that a college or an educational institution can NOT hold original certificates from the owner. Many States have an education act so, you can file a case under your specific State's education act.

You can ask for the return of your certificates, and also claim compensation for the mental agony the college has caused you by not returning such certificates.

Hope this helps!




Arti   02 February 2021

Thanks a lot for showing me Direction Nandini, 

Really Appreciate, one stupid question, what sort of a lawyer should I be looking for, also do you have any recommendation or know of anyone who has dealt with a similar case in the past.

Thanks a ton for your response 

ChristopherCollins   26 February 2021

Thank you so much for the information Nandini,
Useful for me!

pamela   22 June 2021


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register