IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

V.R.Chandrasekhar   07 October 2020

Civil cases

How long the Hon Judge can adjourn the case when arguments concluded and without fixing date for judgement Is there any stipulation Is there any alternative remedy fir speeding up


 2 Replies

Nida Khatri   07 October 2020

U can't really do anything. The judge reserves the right to pass the judgement as per his discretion. N he can die or retire also without passing the judgement. Usually in big criminal cases, the judge divides his judgement in 2 parts which will be declared on different days, in the 1st one ,he will pronounce if the person is guilty or not and in the 2nd part, he will give the punishment if the accused is found guilty. 

But if the judge is being arbitrary and unnecessary dragging the case, then u can file a writ petition in a higher court stating the same.

Adv Vinay Mathur + 8447131770 (Advocate)     07 October 2020

In Anil Rai vs State of Bihar case Supreme Court stated that parties can file an application in the high court seeking an early judgement if it’s not delivered within three months of it being reserved.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query