LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

appi reddy   22 December 2021

civil case

it's been three since Nov 2018 I filed a partition suite of hindu undivided family.
Now the stage of the case is cross examination of plaintiff, still how many years it will take to get the final verdict?
Defendent is enjoying all the means of
property even though some of the lands are on the name of plaintiffs . After the verdict do we get the half share from the means of property. ?
can any body please help me know this information?


 4 Replies

Shubham Bhardwaj (Advocate)     23 December 2021

Dear Sir, 

There is no formula to calculate the time that will be taken for a suit to get over as everything will depend on facts and cicumstances not only of the case but generally. For example COVID-19 has also added to the time taken in disposal of cases especially in district courts. There are other factors such as number of witnesses of the plaintiff, number of witnesses of defendants etc etc. 

With regard to Defendant enjoying the property, I hope you have included claim for mesne profits in your suit. If you have not, then amend your plaint to include it. 


Shubham Bhardwaj (Advocate)

District & Session Court, Chandigarh

Punjab & Haryana High Court, at Chandigarh


Disclaimer:- Opinion is only for guidance. 


G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     23 December 2021

Congratulations, the process was quick in your case, whereas there are cases even issues are not framed even after 5 years in many courts.  If you can get a judgment within 10 years, consider yourself as most fortunate.  It all depends on the Judges and efficiency of your advocate.  If both are interested in you, they can entust to Advocate Commissioner and can order for completion of recording of evidence within a month and within a month from date of receipt, they can hand over a certified copy of the judgment.

P. Venu (Advocate)     23 December 2021

Have you included the relief of getting mesne profits? Now that the matter is in trial stage, final hearing could be expedited.

Kawmini Liyanage   23 December 2021


  • A partition suit is a process by which property gets divided into separate portions.
  • Any co-owner can file for partition suit even if other co-owners are not in consensus.
  • Each co-owner gets a share as per his/her legal entitlement.
  • Post division, every portion gets a new title, and each ‘owner’ gives up his share in the other portions.
  • After completion of the partition suit process, there would be complete control of each co-owner on his share in the property.
  • It restrains interference by anybody else in one’s own share.
  • In order to bear the loss during the time where the other party enjoyed the property, it can be added by way of a claim for mesne profits in your suit and further reliefs.


Kawmini Liyanage.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query