LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

AJain_India (Law Student)     29 July 2012

Cheating and cheque bounce case

i had been approached by a party to buy certain material from me on promise of regular payment. I started supplying material to the party and the payments were irregular. I refused to deliver more goods to the buyer. He then approached me and asked for material and gave me post dated cheques and promised me regular payment. 

Again payments became irregular and i stopped supplying him material. On asking for payments from the buyer he kept delaying the matter. When i presented the cheques to the bank i came to know that the account has zero balance. 

My total outstanding amount is Rs 80 lacs and i have cheques of  Rs 30 Lacs

My questions

1. can i file complaint of cheating and fraud, since he induced me to sell material on the false pretext of cheques

2. can i file case under section 138 NI act also ?

3. can i file suit for recovery of the entire amount ?

4. if he clears the cheques on presenting notice under 138, does the criminal case of cheating still hold ?

Learning

3 Replies

Ajit Singh Cheema (practising Advocate)     29 July 2012

Dishonour of cheque - Punishment under Negotiable Instrument Act and Indian Penal Code Too

All your queries are answered in a very recent judgement by Supreme Court in the case of

Sangeetaben Mahendrabhai Patel Verses State of Gujarat and another

Decided by SC on 2nd of April 2012.

AJain_India (Law Student)     29 July 2012

thank you for the reply. i want to understand one thing.. 

the amount due is more than that of the cheques. if i send him a notice under 138 and he repays the amount due in cheques, will that weaken the criminal case.. since outstanding is 80 lacs and cheques are for 30 lacs and does it mean my rest of the payment can not be claimed... 

t.v.pandu ranga (AGM-Legal)     30 July 2012

criminal case will hold good for entire amount and under NI act  his liability will be 30 lacs only. you can also file civil suit for recovery of money or property and also go for attachment.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register