Intellectual Property Rights: Practice and Drafting by Adv Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

socially backward (Social worker)     10 April 2023

Change of surname

If a girl wants to discontinue using the surname of her father on turing 18 years old,what procedure should she adopt legally.Further ,as her PAN,Aadhaar,passport, secondary and senior secondary school certificates and results...all contains the surname of her father. What will she has to do regarding change of all such documents?


 3 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     10 April 2023

A woman can choose if she wants to continue with the surname she has been living with throughout her life, replace her existing surname with that of her husband's or add her husband's surname to her existing one. It is completely her choice, and no law in India demands a woman to change her surname after marriage.

socially backward (Social worker)     10 April 2023

It's not about marriage and change of surname.She simply doesn't want to use her father's surname and wants omit it from her records on turning a major.

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     10 April 2023

Make an application in Annexure-IA to the Tahsildar concerned for gazette publication for the name change either to remover her father's surname or add some name etc.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register