LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More


Can parents ask for a share in children's property

My father has sent me a lawyers notice demanding a share in my property, that is the house. The plot that I have built the house on was given to me by my dad & is registered in my name. I built the house myself with my money with very negligible contribution by my dad. Based on this, can he claim or does he have any right to ask for a share in the house? My parents live with me in my house.

Also, my parents have many other properties in their name & my dad has a constant income. Inspite of this, I have been taking care of them financially. 


 3 Replies

Ajit Singh Cheema (practising Advocate)     06 December 2012

your father has no right in the property ,as the gift once made and accepted by the donee cannot be revoked .

1 Like

raj kumar ji (LAW STUDENT )     06 December 2012

no parents can not claim on that property but they claim for a maintinance from childrens .

1 Like


Thanks to Ajit Singh Cheema & Raj Kumar Ji. 

My brother got a similar gift from my father. I was 18rs old & my brother a minor when we both got the plot as a gift from my dad. Does the age @ which the plot was given have any disadvantage, as to, my dad trying to claim my brothers plot?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register