Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rahul (System Engineer)     07 October 2011

Can i name my ngo "umang india foundation"

Hi Experts,

We have registered a NGO "Umang Sansthan" (under SOCIETIES REGISTRATION ACT, 1860) in Allahabad,Uttar Pradesh.

But I want to change name of NGO to "Umang India Foundation" or " Yuva Umang Foundation"

I have head that we can not use word "India" and "foundation " . Is it true that we cant use "India" and "foundatio" in Name?

Is there any law which prevents us naming this.

Learning

2 Replies

Nagaraja B S (Corporate Commercial & IP Lawyer)     09 October 2011

Dear user,

As far as my knowledge is concerned, you cannot change the name of your society. Once you register a society or trust under the Societies & trust act, you cannot change. India is not a viable option, your application will not be accepted.

You will have to do a new society altogether.

Feel free to contact me, if there are any concerns.

Thanks

Nagaraj

Corporate, Commercial & IP Lawyer

IP Lex Global Services

Email: nagaraja_bs@iplexglobal.in

Mob: 0091-09902007635 / 34

Seema (Consultant)     13 February 2014

I have a similar query, I am told that one cannot use word "India" as part of NGO/society name, However there appear to be hundreds of registered NGO which have "India" as part of their name. I would like to know -Is it prohibited to use country name as part of NGO name

In case yes, Is the restriction on country name is a recent ruling or is it simply a prerogative of registrar. Does the emblem act restricts country name usage,  Or there are some special considerations required for using country name.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register