LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

josh777_123 (n/a)     04 April 2010

Can I buy agriculture land


I am an IT professional and want to buy agriculture land to grow fruits. Can I buy agriculture land. What is the legal way of getting the farmer's certificate.

My maternal grandfather was a farmer and my mother's brother is still a farmer. On this basis can I claim to be farmer since my family from  maternal is farmer.

Please guide me on this matter.




 7 Replies

bhagwat patil (Property due diligence 9422773303)     04 April 2010

you can.

DISHA D. SHAH (lawyer)     04 April 2010

yes  you are farmer because of both side can get certi from panchayat

Adv. K.S.A.Narasimha Rao ( )     05 April 2010

Dear Josh,

You can purchase the agricultural land for purpose of farming by yourself or you lease out the same. For which you need not be compulsorily a farmer. But the purchase of agricultural land should be with in limite of ceiling act and you should see that legally, the title of the land is clear.

S.A.Narasimha Rao Karri

kranthi kiran (Works In Judicial Department)     05 April 2010

If you are N.R.I, there are certain restrictions on the purchase of agricultaral  land.  If you are not a N,R.I, then there is no need to obtain farmer certificate. You can straight away purchase the agricultural land, if the title is clear and marketable. No need to obtain any certificate from any body.   

josh777_123 (n/a)     05 April 2010

Thank you S.A.Narasimha Rao Karri for your reply. Any idea what is the upper limit of buying agriculture land in maharashtra ?




josh777_123 (n/a)     05 April 2010

Thanks for your reply.

Do I need to  get the farmer certificate or any other certificate from panchayat  before/after buying the agriculture land ?

I am planning to buy land in raigard district , so do I need to get the cert from the panchayat at raigad district ? or  from my mother's village panchayat ?




Adv. K.S.A.Narasimha Rao ( )     06 April 2010

Dear Josh,

As said by Mr. Kiran P.V., if you are an NRI then there would be requirement of taking permission otherwise there is no need of obtaining any permission. only you have to get mutation of name after purchase of land by you. I hail from Andhra Pradesh, I am not much aware of Maharastra Agricultural land ceiling Limit, if you have any other querries contact a local legal advisor in respect of the same.


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register