LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ankit Mehta   27 October 2022

can an advocate represent their parents in court, district court in delhi

Respected senior and my colleagues I'm an advocate by profession practising in Delhi majorly, sir i would to confirm one thing I have sent a legal notice to my neighbour in which I'm asking for terrace rights in the house which I'm living with my parents in ground floor in which terrace owner has put an illegal lock on the roof and denied access to us in which we have clear right in our registered sale deed which is in the name of my parents, the reply which came says that you have committed professional misconduct i only want to know that can I argue for my parents in the court of law in Delhi and can I file my own vakaltnama as well .

Thank you

Learning

8 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     28 October 2022

Professional misconduct may consist –

·         in betraying the confidence of a client

·         in attempting by means to practice fraud

·         to deceive the Court or adverse party or his Counsel

In State of Punjab v. Ram Singh The Supreme Court held that the term ‘misconduct’ may involve –

·         moral turpitude

·         improper or wrongful behavior

·         unlawful behavior

·         willful in character

·         a forbidden act

·         transgression

·         carelessness or negligence in performance of duty

·         or the act complained of bears forbidden quality or character

Chapter -V of the Advocates Act of 1961 deals with conduct of Advocates it describes provision relating to punishment for professional and other misconducts. Section 35(1) of the Advocates Act, 1961

Ankit Mehta   28 October 2022

thank you for replying in really overwhelmed as i ahve personally asked this smfrom so many veterans nobody has any idea about it i mean they are saying we are hearing this for the first time

cyberlawyer (barrister)     30 October 2022

Sir you can very well appear for your parents since you stated that the sale deed is in their favour and this will not amount to professional misconduct. You can file Vakalatnama in favour of your parents. 

P. Venu (Advocate)     30 October 2022

Provsions of the Advocates Act or the Rules notified thereunder (by the Bar Council) does not contain any such restriction. In this context, Chapter II Part I of the BCI Rules repays study -

CHAPTER - II

Standards of Professional Conduct and Etiquette

(Rules under Section 49 (1) (c) of the Act read with the Proviso thereto)

Preamble

An advocate shall, at all times, comport himself in a manner befitting his status as an officer of the Court, a privileged member of the community, and a gentleman, bearing in mind that what may be lawful and moral for a person who is not a member of the Bar, or for a member of the Bar in his non-professional capacity may still be improper for an advocate. Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing obligation, an advocate shall fearlessly uphold the interests of his client and in his conduct conform to the rules hereinafter mentioned both in letter and in spirit. The rules hereinafter mentioned contain canons of conduct and etiquette adopted as general guides; yet the specific mention thereof shall not be construed as a denial of the existence of others equally imperative though not specifically mentioned.

Section I -

Duty to the Court

1. An advocate shall, during the presentation of his case and while otherwise acting before a court, conduct himself with dignity and self-respect. He shall not be servile and whenever there is proper ground for serious complaint against a judicial officer, it shall be his right and duty to submit his grievance to proper authorities.

2. An advocate shall maintain towards the courts a respectful attitude, bearing in mind that the dignity of the judicial office is essential for the survival of a free community.

3. An advocate shall not influence the decision of a court by any illegal or improper means. Private communications with a judge relating to a pending case are forbidden.

4. An advocate shall use his best efforts to restrain and prevent his client from resorting to sharp or unfair practices or from doing anything in relation to the court, opposing counsel or parties which the advocates himself ought not to do. An advocate shall refuse to represent the client who persists in such improper conduct. He shall not consider himself a mere mouth-piece of the client, and shall exercise his own judgement in the use of restrained language in correspondence, avoiding scurrilous attacks in pleadings, and using intemperate language during arguments in court. 

5. An advocate shall appear in court at all times only in the prescribed dress, and his appearance shall always be presentable.

6. An advocate shall not enter appearance, act, plead or practise in any way before a court, Tribunal or Authority mentioned in Section 30 of the Act, if the sole or any member thereof is related to the advocate as father, grandfather, son, grand-son, uncle, brother, nephew, first cousin, husband, wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, niece, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, brother-in-law daughter-in-law or sister-in-law. *For the purposes of this rule, Court shall mean a Court, Bench or Tribunal in which above mentioned relation of the Advocate is a Judge, Member or the Presiding Officer.

7. An advocate shall not wear bands or gown in public places other than in courts except on such ceremonial occasions and at such places as the Bar Council of India or the court may prescribe.

8. An advocate shall not appear in or before any court or tribunal or any other authority for or against an organisation or an institution, society or corporation, if he is a member of the Executive Committee of such organisation or institution or society or corporation. “Executive Committee ”, by whatever name it may be called, shall include any Committee or body of persons which, for the time being, is vested with the general management of the affairs of the organisation or institution, society or corporation. Provided that this rule shall not apply to such a member appearing as “amicus curiae” or without a fee on behalf of a Bar Council, Incorporated Law Society or a Bar Association.

9. An Advocate should not act or plead in any matter in which he is himself pecuniarily interested.

Illustration :

I. He should not act in a bankruptcy petition when he himself is also a creditor of the bankrupt. II. He should not accept a brief from a company of which he is a Director. 

2 . An Advocate shall not stand as a surety, or certify the soundness of a surety for his client required for the purpose of any legal proceedings.

1 Like

Ankit Mehta   30 October 2022

thank you sir it means i can definitely pleas this matter for my parents

cyberlawyer (barrister)     01 November 2022

@Ankit Mehta - You have stated that you received reply that you committed professional misconduct. Is this reply sent by your neighbour or his advocate ?

Ankit Mehta   01 November 2022

by their advocate only sir

LillieWatkins   21 July 2023

Originally posted by : Ankit Mehta

thank you sir it means i can definitely pleas this matter for my parents bad time simulator

Several lawyers responded to the question, stating that there is no restriction in the Advocates Act or the Bar Council of India rules preventing an advocate from representing their parents in court. However, they must conduct themselves with dignity and respect towards the court and the judicial office, refrain from influencing the court's decision by illegal or improper means, and avoid any conflict of interest or appearance of impropriety.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register